basic home studio

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi fokes,

Bought some card to so i could get better back drops for the photos. Inspired by peoples work on here i tried some stuff out.
4109894983_630501bf92.jpg

only have a max of 3 second shutter speed so think this is the best i can get for this effect.

also took this one

4109913181_63c32d0885.jpg

How can these be improved?

I like how most of you guys get proper black backgrounds rather than whats going on in mine.

TIA

How can these be improved?

The second looks terribly under exposed to me, and the white balance is more 'orange balance'. What lighting have you used? What were the camera settings?

was done under a energy saving light bulb, so did get a awful colour. Cant remember of the top of my head but iso was 200 shuter was 1.3/1.6 ish.
I just cant seam to get anything right.

adjust white balance , up the iso to 800 shoot , look at the reult on the camera screen, then adjust accordingly.
Next time you post can you give more details of your equipment
Phillip

With a tiny bit of practice, you will nail it.

Can you tell us the EXACT aperture used, and shutter speed?

Gary.

Thanks will get the proper settings when I get home.
Im using a fuji s5600 which is a bridge camera max 3 second shuter.
The first shot I was trying to do something similar to http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=155004
but had to improvise.

The second i was trying to do something like http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=165195

The second shows what i mean about the black background this.

I have a rubbish creative eye thats why im using others as inspriation.

First bottle pic
Exposure Time 3.00 sec
Shutter Speed 2.80 sec
Exposure Program Shutter Pri
F-Stop f/4.50
Aperture Value f/4.40
Max Aperture Value f/3.20
Focal Length 6.30mm
ISO 200
Metering mode Pattern
White Balance Auto

Second pic Golf Ball unedited

Exposure Time 5.00 sec
Shutter Speed 4.90 sec
Exposure Program Manual
F-Stop f/8
Aperture Value f/80
Max Aperture Value f/3.20
Focal Length 6.30mm
ISO 200
Metering mode Pattern
White Balance Day white flourescent (N 4600 - 5400K)

Last edited:
I agree with all the above.
When i first started out i was the same.
I bought two cheap desk lamps from argos and they seemed to do the trick at the time,just make sure you have the light at the same positioning either side so your light is even - thats if you cant afford a flash light that you could bounce of your ceiling.

Another tip is ; good idea for your backdrop however try using only one sheet of paper portrait against a wall ,therefore you get a smooth even backdrop without the use of two sheet and getting a nasty line where they meet.

Hope this helps alittle

:D

With a little PP you can end up with a much better result BUT this would work even better with the RAW file!

golfball1.jpg

Or PP from the 2nd shot where the exposure is better for the golf ball

golfball2.jpg

I think there are some flash guns (fully manual) which will work on the Nikon, and can be had for £20 or so. See eBay. Fully manual is absolutely fine for flash, and you will see a big difference straight away.

Perhaps someone with a little more flash experience can help with specific models, but I have seen some which are OLD but dirt cheap.

Gary.

I think there are some flash guns (fully manual) which will work on the Nikon, and can be had for £20 or so. See eBay. Fully manual is absolutely fine for flash, and you will see a big difference straight away.

Perhaps someone with a little more flash experience can help with specific models, but I have seen some which are OLD but dirt cheap.

Gary.

I have done another thread on here about using old flashes with modern dslr cameras (not a how to, but a what to!). All nikon dslr cameras are rated for 250v trigger voltage which means that MOST old film flashes are ok BUT there are instructions on how to measure the voltage to be safe. You could even pick up a new manual flash for about £40 (graham, flash in the pan, has some)

Hi casfan

Apart from the lighting, which I'm sure you will sort out real quick, I like the content.
Bottles look like they've got a lot of potential and the gball looks good too √

thanks for the tips guys had another go tonight and got better results.

Lucecul i used a desk lamp angled all different ways to get the best lighting. dont get the only using one background though as the forground would be carpet??

Irus no bulb setting but found in manual mode i can go to 15 seconds

cowasaki thanks for the pp

4116057678_5701d0f6f6.jpg

still not ot the background line sorted

and

4115273833_0d3426b211.jpg

I also have a set i created on flikr dont want to put them all on here but if you have time could you have a look and see if any of these work and would be good enough to enter as course work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9356263@N04/sets/72157622831790564/

Thanks for looking

If you use one large piece of black/white A1 for your background you canuse that for both base ( covering the carpet) and against the wall. Use as a gradient,portrait then you get a nice easy set-up for youself, all you got to black it to the wall and floor then :)

Back