Basic inkjet multi function printers, which one?

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

I was passing a Rymans today and they had both the Canon MG2950 and the Epson Xpression Home XP-245 on offer at £29.99 each.

Now our monochrome HP laserjet is still doing sterling service but there are times when a colour print and/or a scan/copy are wanted! These two printers are fairly small footprint and as wi-fi connectable just(?) might be able to find a home for one???

The Canon has two carts (black and a tricolour one) the Epson has separate carts (Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta) in their Claria Home 'range'.

So as a general, low duty cycle printer with the potential to print some pictures which would you choose.......................if neither of these makes/models which would you suggest with limited budget & space in mind???

TIA for the insight :)

I've never got on with Epson but I wouldn't go for a 2 cartridge system like the canon either.

I've had an Epsom previously and struggled with it and had issues with the inks drying in machine relatively quickly.

Got a Canon iP now and much better / happier with the printer.

How much ink do you get with the printers? Some give say 25% int he cartridges with the printer.
Check the price of replacements, sometimes the printer is very cheap because the cartridges are where the money is.

The Canon Pixma MG5750 (Black and 5751 White) is a very nice AIO printer. Currently £49.99 at Currys (Black) and Argos (White). It uses 5 x inks (570XL and 571XL) which are very cheap and reliable in non-OEM. i have the 6 ink MG7550 which uses the same cartridges and produce very good printing. Non OEM are arounf £1 each gor the chipped version.

The 5750 will work with IPhone/IPad and Android 4+ via WiFi

I got my grand-daughter the 5750 when she went to Uni in September and she has has no proplems with it.

Not saying it's the best but, for me (buying inks for my grand daughter and myself) they are cheap to run.

steve

The Canon Pixma MG5750 (Black and 5751 White) is a very nice AIO printer. Currently £49.99 at Currys (Black) and Argos (White). It uses 5 x inks (570XL and 571XL) which are very cheap and reliable in non-OEM. i have the 6 ink MG7550 which uses the same cartridges and produce very good printing. Non OEM are arounf £1 each gor the chipped version.

The 5750 will work with IPhone/IPad and Android 4+ via WiFi

I got my grand-daughter the 5750 when she went to Uni in September and she has has no proplems with it.

Not saying it's the best but, for me (buying inks for my grand daughter and myself) they are cheap to run.

steve
I think I have this or possibly the model before 5650 it's been faultless so far.

Mrs Nod uses a Canon of some sort for her needs. Handy for when we want/need colour photocopies and the like as well as being accessible from anywhere in the house through its wifi. Not overexpensive to run using genuine inks through 7dayshop.

Thanks for the insights and suggestions for the better models. Especially the Canon models over Epson.

Various things to factor in the major ones as mentioned being size and (available) space.

Thanks for the insights and suggestions for the better models. Especially the Canon models over Epson.

Various things to factor in the major ones as mentioned being size and (available) space.
The Pixma models I listed are not the smallest but that can be down to the Auto double side printing and the associated mechanicals. For what it is, I rate the Canon very highly. The main 570XL Black cartridge is larger tjan the 'colours' which includes the Pigmen Black in 5750 and 7750/7750 models anf Grey in the 7750/7550. As S said before, the non-oEM inks are cheap.

The canon build is why I am looking at one of their 8 inkbA3 pro models. Beyond basic there though!

S

Any thoughts as to a (compact) two tiered printer stand that can be placed on a two or three drawer filing cabinet???

The older mono HP laser has front feed tray and front output 'tray', is high for its footprint..............a two tiered stand might be a solution, with whichever the HP or a Canon on the shelf that they will fit???

PS most such tiered stands are floor standing :(

Last edited:

steve
That's odd as my MG7550 uses 550 & 551 cartridges. Is yours really a 7750 rather than a 7550?

Have a look at the epson Eco tank printers, they cost about £200 , but are very cheap to run the tanks are refilible and are 70mm .
The cost per bottle of ink is 8 to 9 pounds

Back