Basic photo filing system? (over a network)

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I know there are a lot of threads out discussing the best photo filing systems etc, but my question is slightly different as I am looking for a particular feature. Hopefully someone here will have a solution :)

I'm using Picasa to file my photos. I can tag my keyword and it seems relatively easy to create new folders whilst keeping the photos all in one place.

However, my father has a WD Networked HDD that I connect to from the other side of the country and browse the photos. Is there a way that we can both have Picasa installed, access the photos, but the keywords we add are available to each other?

I'd be happy to consider a different application other than Picasa if needed.

Hopefully that makes sense, and someone has a solution.

Many thanks!
Amnesia

When you say, "connect to", how are you doing this? It's not a different application you need but simply 'attaching' the remote drive to your local network. How you'd do this depends on the operating system. While it's easy enough to attach a local drive, I personally haven't attached a remote one (at least, not on a PC), so I can't help with the details. Hopefully someone will come along who can.

do you use the drive via a webpage or browse to it normally in my computer for example?

if its the former you may need to look at dyndns, vpns etc.

i dont know if picassa lets you have a shared database. i know lightroom definitely doesnt.

Back