Basic Speedlight Softbox setup

Edit My Images
No
Looking to do a little more with off camera flash using my speedlights, any recommendations for a decent set up, looking for lighting stands and probably a softbox to diffuse the light for softer portraits. Couple hundred quid budget, max. Any suggestions?.

The cheapo Godox softboxes for speedlights are "ok" and "ok" is all you're likely to get from a speedlight in a softbox, as there'll always be a little bit of a hotspot because of the built in reflector.

If budget is a couple of hundred though, why not look at one of the Lencarta Smartflash kits?

Thanks, the Smartflash kit is mains powered only, yes? Looking for something that I can take on location. Any recommendations on the lenscarta equipment?

Thanks, the Smartflash kit is mains powered only, yes? Looking for something that I can take on location. Any recommendations on the lenscarta equipment?

Ah yes, it is.

I think the Safari is their battery powered kit, but a bit pricier.

People say good things about the Godox barebulb flashes, plenty of chat about them on the lighting forum.

A cheap softbox might be the place to start though, one with the S-Fit adapter, got mine from Amazon for about £20, they're perfectly useable, just not on par with using a barebulb flash in them

I bought a Photr octobox that closes like an umbrella, make assembly really easy, and the flash holder as well cost about £50 all in. It's bowens mount so when/if I buy bigger lights it can be used on those.

The softbox I linked in your other thread in lighting works OK with a speedlight. Like Andy said though you'll not get better than OK using a speedlight, the bare bulb is the way to go.

Having loads more available power has advantages too.

Back