Basic video editing

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
I just bought my self a new phone for snap shots and when I do not have my DSLR with me, which I am very pleased with.
I have never really played around much with video function before, but this has stabilisation built in, and it looks pretty good.
I am looking to use the video a bit more for holiday travel stuff, instead of still images in a slide show, I was going to do say 5-10 sec clips and join them together.

So I am looking for some easy to use software that will allow me to:
Trim out the ends
If possible trim out any rubbish bits
Add some music over the top
If possible do some basic editing, exposure and the such like

At the moment for my stills I use Lightroom for just about everything, so I do have access to creative cloud, so it might be possible in Photoshop.
I am looking for something that is quick and easy to use.....
If anyone could give me a bit of a steer that would be great,
Cheers Alex
Ps I did have a search, but a lot of the forums replies were a bit dated now :)

I use Adobe Premier Elements 14 to edit videos. Hard to get this version but plenty of newer ones. Not hard but does need a little time on how to use. Such as fix one frame and the whole video is corrected. easy to cut and join strips.Adding music is easy as well but do watch out for using copywrited music , also fade in/out in video and sound. You can also send to youtube from here. That would be my recommendation but not earlier versions. too much one can do with it to put on here

link worth watching all, not just part 1

here is a slow mo using that editing suit, could have easily cut out wind noise

Like everything always work on a copy, not the original
i wold also suggest getting a camcorder for videos. I have the Panasonic HC-X900m ,no longer available but well worth looking at the make

Last edited:
Premiere Elements is good for a 100 bucks. If you are on Mac iMovie is very good for free. If your computer can handle it Davinci Resolve is also free and is pro level editor.

Hi everyone, sorry been away working for a while. Thanks for all the advice, I have Lightroom which I use foe all my stills on a plan, so I have Photoshop CC, which I hardly ever use, so I am trying that out, it looks simple form youtube :) but I will see how I get on .

Hi everyone, sorry been away working for a while. Thanks for all the advice, I have Lightroom which I use foe all my stills on a plan, so I have Photoshop CC, which I hardly ever use, so I am trying that out, it looks simple form youtube :) but I will see how I get on .

I’ve seen at least one YouTuber using Davinci Resolve 15, which can be downloaded free as they have released version 16. I looks like a full editing suite.

Huge +1 for Davinci Resolve....I genuinely do not understand how this program is free. It is a fully featured multi track video editor with great colour grading and audio mixing functionality built in.

Don't spend any money until you've tried it!

Cheers I might have a look at that, just tried in photoshop, which I get as part of my plan, but at the momnet when I export as quick time, I get this message when I try and play it:
1566115849165.png

I just want something quick and easy.

Try exporting in .mp4 which is more Windows friendly.
There is little difference in file size or quality I would suggest using presets for youtube or vimeo if you aren't sure about bitrates and such (it can be a minefield)

The free version of da vinci will have some functionality disabled, but you might not notice until getting deeper into it.
Noise reduction and 4K editing were not available when I last tried it, however it is good and I noticed rendered up to 2x faster (than premiere) on a mid-range PC.

Hi, thanks for the advice, sorry I new to the video side of things, so might be a bit slow :)
I went back in to Photoshop, file- export as- but I only have the options below?
I must be doing something very daft....
1566126378717.png

Well none of those are video formats, I know you can export video from photoshop, have a look on youtube for help maybe.

Filmora is my editor of choice, quick, easy and does a supprising amount of stuff.

Back