Bat

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Certainly wild and absolutely free :)

I was very nearly on the verge of not taking my camera out with me this dinner as it was so dull, I was so pleased I did when I came across this Pipstrelle hanging to a hand rail of a bridge over the stream on my local patch, I got some poor shots with the long lens, then crossed my fingers and nipped home to fetch the macro, and my luck was in, apart from having moved on to the top of the hand rail it was still there, I couldn't see any injury and it looked disease free, so I left it undisturbed as I had found it and tootled off with a big grin on my face :)

I've been informed this may not be a pipstrelle, if anyone can give a positive ID I would appreciate it :)

Pipstrelle

Bats are not always easy to ID and I'm about as far from an expert as it's possible to be........................
What makes you think it's not a pipistrelle? What it isn't is one of the long eared or horseshoe species. I've had a bat nursery roost in my roof this summer, hence my interest in these lovely creatures (they've been there before but years ago when info was harder to come by - remember libraries?;)) I think my roost has recently dispersed so there will be post breeding females and recently fledged (I don't know what you call it in bats) youngsters moving into their usual roosts or finding new ones, and of course along a stream is an ideal place for a bat to hunt. Hopefully yours is perfectly okay. Interestingly when I started researching bats I really expected to find a lot more detailed information out there, but what I've been able to find is all a bit vague. If you have a local bat group it might be worth getting in touch with them.
Love the expression btw. I'm sure it's not snarling at you but.................

Hi ya Jan, the Bat was still in the same place this morning so I've brought it in and informed the Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group, they are sorting out a volunteer to fetch it now, the only reason I say it might not be a pipistrelle a friend who like us is no expert suggested it may not be :)

Glad you've done the right thing and called the local bat group. If they're going to be a while before they can get to you there's some advice on the Bat Conservation Trust website on what to do if you find a grounded or disabled bat: http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/containingabat.html just in case you've not found this already. (y)

Last edited:
As for species, it's definitely not a pipistrelle bat as, amongst other things, the tragus (the bit that sticks up inside the ear) is the wrong shape. As Jan says, certain species of bat can be very difficult to tell apart, and it's often impossible from a photograph, but from what I can see it looks like it's a whiskered, Brandt's or Alcathoe bat, with me going for whiskered bat (Myotis mystacinus) if I had to choose. However, I can't tell from a photo and it usually requires detailed examination from a suitably trained and licensed expert to tell them apart. Depending on its condition they may well not do this for a while (unless during the examination to check for any injury) so as to avoid stressing the bat and improve its chance of survival. It will be interesting to know in due course though, so perhaps ask if they'll let you know. However, the most important thing at the moment is the care and rehabilitation of the bat and I really hope it survives.

Last edited:
Glad it's going to be cared for and will hopefully make a recovery. Even if it doesn't your finding it and following it up will save it from suffering possibly at the 'hands' of a predator. You've done exactly the right thing, not intervening immediataly but doing so when it was clear something wasn't right. If you're kept in the loop let us know what the outcome is, please.

Ian lovely image and I must echo Jan good work mate all the right moves. Let's hope the little guy fares well and maybe you 'll get a positive ID.. I'd also love to know how this story pans out Ian

cheers for sharing fabulous first image !1

stu

**Update** The bat was still in the same place this morning so I brought it home and got in touch with The Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group, they have just been to pick it up, apparently it is a juvenile Whiskered Bat not pipistrelle as I first thought, it is healthy and has just got caught out by the cooler/cold nights we have had of late, apparently this happens regularly, it will be fed and watered for a few days then released, the gent who picked it up will let me know how it gets on and when he releases it, so it's a happy ending a safe Bat and a couple of photos for me :)

Thanks for the update. :)
:plus1: I hope the poor little animal makes a full recovery, bats need all the help they can get, the amount of insects such as midges and mosquitoes they eat each night helps us no end. Also, a little known fact is that without bats there would be no Tequila, as bats pollinate the plant that provides the fruit its made from! So a very helpful species.

Anyone wanting to find out more about UK bats can visit the Bat Conservation Trust website http://www.bats.org.uk/ (y)

Last edited:
**Update** The bat was still in the same place this morning so I brought it home and got in touch with The Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group, they have just been to pick it up, apparently it is a juvenile Whiskered Bat not pipistrelle as I first thought, it is healthy and has just got caught out by the cooler/cold nights we have had of late, apparently this happens regularly, it will be fed and watered for a few days then released, the gent who picked it up will let me know how it gets on and when he releases it, so it's a happy ending a safe Bat and a couple of photos for me :)

That's brilliant news, and a 'different' bat as well (well IDed Mr Brock). Bats are wonderful creatures and very useful to have around, that's why I'm so keen on finding all I can about 'mine' (hoping they come back again next year) and if I can do any more to help them. I had mosquito larvae in my bird bath - they kept the bird bath clean and once hatched would have fed the swallows, house martins and bats - a win all round and not a single mosquito hassling me in the garden. Hope your little one is released safe and sound.

**UPDATE** I received a phone call from the gent from The Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group yesterday, to tell me the little mite fed well on meal worms for two days and was then released back into the wild close to where found, so fingers crossed it will thrive now, a big thank you to The Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group for all their help :)

Thanks for the update, I'm glad its recovered and it'll be nice for you to know you saved its life. (y)

Back