Batch first then lightroom?

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Started to see the benefit of applying certain batch changes (PS ones not ones possible in LR itself) to a whole shoot, the only problem is that my usual 'first step' is an import into lightroom. So the question is what do other people do?

1) Copy RAW's directly to disk via explorer then run batch changes, then import from same location into LR catalog?

2) Import/Move into LR catalog then run batch on the moved files and let LR update?

3) Import/Move into LR then export/VC the whole shoot and apply batch to those?

I don't want to be duplicating loads of images ideally, but obviously I still want all edits to be non-destructive.

:bonk:

You can't beat NX!

What changes are you making to the raw files in PS that aren't possible in LR?

Simple things like like layering effects, minor glows etc.. Not re-touching per-say but more routine stylizing.

Ok, so that actually changes to the raw file then, or remembered with the raw file itself.

Import the raw files to LR, process them, export to PS for any further edits is the way to go.

Cheers PXL8. The version PS edits will have to be a copy of the image as PS won't be able to read the RAW including the LR adjustments. Guess there is no way round having loads of duplicated files.

Yeah, I think you're a little confused over editing raw in PS. Once you've left Adobe Camera Raw and move into PS proper you're no longer working with the raw file so really it's no different than editing in LR and then exporting to finish editing in PS.

Generally when I need to take a file into PS for further editing I end up with 4 files.
Original Raw
LR exported image
PSD with layers, etc.
Export from PS (final image)

The export from LR could be deleted to keep things a bit tidier or you could just open the image in PS straight from LR but as I tend to work with batches of images it's easier to export the whole lot in one go.

Back