Bath - The Crystal Palace

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Not what you expected from the title eh? A shot from last weekend of a street in Bath with the Crystal Palace Pub in the distance
Taken with Canon 5Dii and Canon 16-35 IS and fiddled around with in CS6 & NIK - Tripod courtesy of a metal rubbish bin which just happened to be in the right place
Misty-street0242W_zpsoic1upkk.jpg

Yes, there was a bloke with a group of visitors around that corner on the grassy area and he had a Japanese tourist fitted into a guillotine ..... the Jap didnt look to comfortable with it and so I wandered off around the corner and left them to it.

The fake mist effect isn't working for me at all. Just looks like a blanket low contrast / fill-light fudge. It needs some kind of depth, blending and variation across the scene.

Also, the term "Jap" is generally considered an offensive racial slur.

Appreciate your feedback on the photograph

Jap? As opposed to "Brit" for British which is a commonly used term which I dont find offensive at all ....... or Aussie for Australian, which I know from Aussie friends they dont find offensive either ;-)

No, not at all .... nor rude either!
I am (for a very good reason) just obviously more aware of current feelings on this than you are ;-)

Now ... if you have more to say on the shot then please go ahead. This is a photography forum, not one to start throwing unecessary racial accusations around. Thank you for your cooperation.

The mist doesn't work, I think you've got it in reverse. It should be thicker at the bottom thinning out to the top (or part way).
Nice idea though

It's a great little spot in Bath, I did love my 6yrs there! Not the best pub though, I found...

The mist doesn't work, I think you've got it in reverse. It should be thicker at the bottom thinning out to the top (or part way).
Nice idea though

Thanks, you may well be right although I have seen "real" mist in shots like this, looking the same. It was a last minute add to be honest, before it was (obviously) mist free

I think the mist and processing could work, its close, just not quite realistic at the moment.

Mist looks too artificial to me, its good to see though! I think id probably prefer the original.
Even better though would maybe go for a film noir style?

I like to look of the road stones. nice colours there

I like it :)

I think it would also work well in mono as the mist has made it look a bit flat, perhaps with a bit of a vignette - would look quite dickensian.

Back