1. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Sorry this is specific but might apply to any.

I have Nikon EN-EL15 batteries, One, no longer how long I put it in the charger for won't charge past about 45% and the other 93%. The Nikon age thing is showing them as 4 year old. Is this usual for batteries to get to a point where they only hold a % of full capacity? can they be reconditioned or best to just let them go?

2. Fraser Euan White

Fraser Euan White

Name:
    Fraser White
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Have you calibrated it?

3. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    how do you calibrate a EN-EL15? I have an MH-25a charger?

4. Cagey75

Cagey75

Name:
    Keith
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    It isn’t saying the battery is 4 years old the rating is from 0-4 to give an idea of the age of the battery and quality of charge it is capable of. When a battery hits such a low level it is time to dispose of it and replace it. The battery age is printed along with serial number on the battery.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  6. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes they are showing both as 4 years old. That just didn't seem that old for a battery

7. gramps

gramps

Edit My Images:
    No
    The ability of a battery to retain a good charge reduces with time, after 4 years it may well be time to replace them as the more the ability to retain charge reduces it is often the case that it will become flat much more quickly.

8. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    LiIon batteries apparently have a life span of 3-5 years or 300-500 charging cycles.

9. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    As I already said the in camera battery reading is not an indication of how many years old the battery is. It is there to show you an indication of how knackered the battery is with 4 being worst. You could have a 2 year old battery with a rating of 4. The rating is based on how many charges the battery has had and how it holds a charge.

Graham W likes this.
  10. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    In laymans terms what does calibration do?

11. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You can't calibrate EN-EL15 batteries you can only do that for the batteries for the Nikon D3, D4, D4S, D5 etc. via the Nikon charger that has a calibration button. You need to dispose of the batteries showing a usage rating of 4 and buy new ones.

For the single digit pro Nikon bodies the charger calibrates the battery by discharging it to depletion and then it recharges it to full capacity again. Usually you need to do this a few times for it to work. Depending on how far gone the battery this may not work and you would still need to buy a replacement.

It isn't possible to do this with EN-EL15 batteries.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    gcgraphs and jamesev like this.
  12. frod

frod

Name:
    Kev
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It sounds like the one that goes to 43% has dead cells, I'd bin it. The other one looks like it's had quite a few charging cycles but I wouldn't get rid just yet.

13. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have written my letter to Santa to fill my stocking with EN-EL15b's as these seem to be the latest evolution.

Having said that theres lots of warnings about buying b's over a's because b's are the native cell for the Z6/7 and the battery life on those isn't the best supposedly!

14. f/2.8

f/2.8

Name:
    Tommy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That has nothing to do with the battery capacity.

Because they are mirrorless they have an evf which uses a lot more power than an dslr.

15. jamesev

jamesev

Name:
    Jamesev
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Sounds like the EN-ELb is the best successor to the EN-EL15 then - thanks for all your advice