Batteries on a plane

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I've checked a few sites and got a bit muddled here. Can I take spare batteries for my xt2 in my hand luggage or should I stick them in my case? Also same goes for AA rechargeables.

Last year I had a hell of a time but that was Egypt and it is a bit different flying there. Had to fight my corner for about ten minutes as they wanted to take my 5d mk2 spare batteries off me. Eventually let me put them in the case.

Correct, in your hand luggage with the terminals protected to avoid short circuits.
I put mine in the plastic change bags you get from banks, seem to be acceptable.

I'm flying to Hong Kong with BA in November, they sent me this:

In hand baggage
  • Kept in the device
  • Max. 4 spares per person (incl. Power Banks) kept in original packaging or insulated/protected from contact with metal
  • Lithium metal batteries must not exceed 2g lithium content and lithium ion batteries must not exceed 100Wh
In checked baggage
  • Kept in the device
  • No spares

As I'm taking a power bank for my phone that means I'm limited to 4 camera batteries, one in the camera and 3 spares. That's quite restrictive for a mirrorless camera, although thankfully I'll be returning to my hotel each night so should be fine. I guess one option would be to take a battery grip, as I could presumably quite legally carry two additional batteries in that.

Four batteries a day with recharging facilities each night should be more than adequate, that's got to be a minimum of 1200 shots each and every day.

You could always buy a 3rd party battery or two out there and leave them there, daresay they will be quite reasonably priced

Last edited:
I brought back my batteries in my hold luggage from Thailand last year.

They made me get them out of the case to show them what they were but were happy to put them back in the hold baggage once they'd looked at them

Had them in my hand luggage and they didn't even mention them. Way different last year in Egypt. Much more thorough.

Four batteries a day with recharging facilities each night should be more than adequate, that's got to be a minimum of 1200 shots each and every day.

You could always buy a 3rd party battery or two out there and leave them there, daresay they will be quite reasonably priced

Yes will be fine for travel photography. Might be a bit interesting when I go abroad for a motorsport event though.

Back