Batteries .... Rechargeable or not?

I'm using eneloop xx's now and this lacrosse charger. I've used a bunch of different NiCd's and cheap chargers as well as NiZn and their charger. I liked the enviro friendly (disposable) aspect of the Nz's plus the extra power, but they die too quickly long term. And cheap fast chargers seem to kill NiCd's too quickly as well.

200mah recharge rate is what's recommended for NiCd's...

TBH, I haven't been using eneloops long enough to have a major opinion of them...

I'm using Eneloop XX and they're fab. I started a thread on them when I first bought them here.....

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sanyo-eneloop-xx-test.493316/

They still deliver the same power despite being used quite heavily in a variety of scenarios.

I've got some left standing I'm testing for power drain too. I'll post those findings when enough time has passed.

I'm impressed with them.

Good test, but missing the new Eneloops (and the new Duracell clone of the new Eneloops).

I do agree that the 7 Day Shop ones aren't as good as the best available (in my experience as well).

Lets get the “turkey” award, the worst on test out of the way first. This dubious accolade goes to the “7dayshop Good to Go battery”. They managed to get the bottom of the table in virtually every test, the only the thing they had going for them was that they were a relatively well balanced set of poor performers!

I have 2 battery chargers at home, not sure what spec they are. Are there specific chargers to use with these Eneloop batteries?

Any decent charger will do (they'll charge on any normal rechargeable battery charger) but it's always better to go for an intelligent charger with separate charging circuits for each battery.

Sanyo Eneloop 2000 batteries and Annsmann chargers.

About the 1.2/1.5 Volt thing. It is correct, but the numbers are meaningless when the battery starts to do some work. There are two numbers important about batteries - their voltage and their internal resistance. The internal resistance of a one shot cell will be much higher than a rechargeable. As soon as the batteries start to deliver current, the one shot voltage will drop much more than the rechargeable, and the rechargeable will start to work harder. In terms of your flashgun, this may result in a reduction in cycle time of up to 30% for the rechargeables.

Any decent charger will do (they'll charge on any normal rechargeable battery charger) but it's always better to go for an intelligent charger with separate charging circuits for each battery.

Any charger suitable for NiMH cells.

I use GP Recyko's myself, always charged, good recycle time with flash guns. Great all round. They are 2100 mah and I use the Ansmann Fast re-charger.

Last edited:
Back