Battery chargers on holiday.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D700 and Sal has a D7100. Two different chargers to take on hols. CAN we take just ONE plug/lead, as it seems that they are the same connection. Or are they?

You'll generally have either a 2 pin (figure 8) connector or a 3 pin (cloverleaf) connector.
If both chargers use the same style connector then it doesn't matter which cable you use.
Thanks for that. Saved a bit of space and one less argument.

I have a few of those plugs with a mains connector coming out of them, they save a bit more room as you don't need to take a lead. Another option could be leaving the charger and lead at home and USB charging. If your gear can do that.

IIRC, my Nikons came with both UK and European plugs on leads - the European ones are far less bulky than the UK ones (providing that you're going to be in Europe!)

Thanks for that. Saved a bit of space and one less argument.

Not really answering your question, but if pushed for space, I use one of these

https://www.solartechnology.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=334

well two actually, with a usb lead that plugs into the same adaptor that my iPhone, iPad and Kindle plug into.

I can charge my Fuji (two types) and Nikon batteries (and my Nikon 1 and Panasonic batteries when I had them) in the same charger, which dramatically reduced the bulk of carrying chargers for all the various things I had that need charging.

I assume it would work with the D700/D7100 batteries

Just a thought.

Dang it.

I had hoped this thread was about a stunning new Polish art film.

I have a D700 and Sal has a D7100. Two different chargers to take on hols. CAN we take just ONE plug/lead, as it seems that they are the same connection. Or are they?

Should be fine.

It's the same with those big three socket plugs that you plug into the back of any desktop computers or older monitors. Every time I buy a new one, I end up with a new cable that comes in with the box, so I often wonder what to do with the old cable. I was told by a electrical engineer that they're really the same, so you could still use the old cable for the new computer.

The smaller two socket plugs are the same, one cable could be plugged into any tape recorders or VHS recorders, thus they could be plugged into the same charger, therefore you're right, take one lead, use it for either charger, thus save luggage space.

With similar chargers it will be fine, bear in mind fuses could be different ratings on other leads.
I would think most of us have also got EU leads tucked away, which would save adapter space and the plug design is less bulky than UK versions.

With similar chargers it will be fine, bear in mind fuses could be different ratings on other leads.
I would think most of us have also got EU leads tucked away, which would save adapter space and the plug design is less bulky than UK versions.

FWIW, EU style 2 pin plugs don't usually have fuses.

Just had a quick look at a few Nikon chargers I have and they all draw well under 1 amp.

oxuDwxZ.jpg

This is my solution. I have bought two Blumax chargers, one for my Panasonic camcorder and the other for my Nikon D800/810 camera. The battery trays themselves are inter- changeable .
ysirHNK.jpg

As in the picture the pin connecting points are different but still fit into one charger (tape underneath to stop them sliding for photograph only)

This is what I take on holiday, just one charger to charge both camera batteries. No doubt one could just buy one charger and get different battery trays for them, this I don't know. Then just one power lead and a 3pin to 2 pin adapter if needed

Last edited:
I have just returned from a trip to Norway which involved three different chargers all of which were fed by the same type of 2-pin lead. One lead was taken. The lead was fitted with a 2-pin Euro style plug which fitted the ship's power outlets.

It depends on the ship. We did the Norway fjords last year with P&O. being and English ship it had the standard 3 pin Uk plug sockets. On other ships it could use continental plugs sockets or USA plugs etc. So it pays to book with a UK shipping line such as P&O for example. This year we are going to Japan with Princess cruise line which has USA plug sockets

Last edited:
Sorry, should have said that it was a Hurtigruten ship which stated in the brochure that it was fitted with Euro sockets.

SiL is currently on the Viking Sky which has US style sockets.

Sorry, should have said that it was a Hurtigruten ship which stated in the brochure that it was fitted with Euro sockets.

SiL is currently on the Viking Sky which has US style sockets.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Did you do the Hurtigruten ferry trip up and back from Bergen? Was it as good as some people say IYO?

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Did you do the Hurtigruten ferry trip up and back from Bergen? Was it as good as some people say IYO?

Yes did the round trip including flights from Gatwick. Worth every penny (providing you don't want to drink with the house wine at £10/half glass!!!). A bit chilly in places - good touch screen type gloves required. Only went on one excursion to Nordcap. Food on board was excellent. Saw the Northern Lights and took over 60 shots of 'em - only a few keepers though. Highly recommended.

Thanks for that. Mum and Dad did it a few years ago and Mrs Nod and I want to do it at some point.

If you already use a usb power bank for anything you can get usb chargers and forget needing power outlets. (And they are light and compact).

I use a nitecore one for Nikon lipos which is excellent as it shows mah put back into the lipo and charges at 1A which isn't too far off the standard charger output.

Last edited:
Back