Battery grip - D700

Name
Vicky
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive just purchased a D700 and 24-70 lens which is fab! Im looking at purchase a battery grip however just wanted some info on whether its worth spending the extra cash on the Nikon version or whether to go for a third party grip? any thoughts?

vix345 said:
Ive just purchased a D700 and 24-70 lens which is fab! Im looking at purchase a battery grip however just wanted some info on whether its worth spending the extra cash on the Nikon version or whether to go for a third party grip? any thoughts?

I have a 3rd party grip that's quite good and was 1/4 the price of the nikon one. I got it when I was using a D300s and now I have a D3 and D700 I rarely use it. I don't need the extra frame rate and prefer the smaller size of the D700 without it when working with 2 cameras.

I'm not sure of the brand there's nothing written on it. But it came with an IR shutter remote and an extra battery tray that takes AAs. It's made of tough plastic and the number on it is D300S (made in China).

I use a Meike battery grip for my D300s and it is fantastic. Quite a bit cheaper than its Nikon equivalent and I have never had any problems with it but would struggle to use the camera without. Some people may prefer the Nikon version for build quality etc. but if you get the right one you can save some serious money.

I bought a genuine Nikon one for my D700, got a mint, unused one off ebay. I think it was unwanted as Nikon had an offer on where you got them free with all D700's for a while, and clearly the owner didn't want it. Think I paid £120 - 130 and am very pleased with it. Be warned though - it is metal and adds weight and bulk to an already big and heavy camera, especially with a big lens like a 24-70 on.

Does it do anything over and above a 3rd party one? No probably not, but if I'm using a top end Nikon camera and lenses, it didn't feel right to be using a 3rd party grip on it.

Back