Battery grip - to buy or not buy?

The prices are terrible as well considering you buy a battery grip, and it doesn't even come with batteries!

That's just accessory prices all over - exorbitant pretty much without exception. What I really baulk at is paying ludicrous amounts of money for a piece of glorified moulded plastic with no special features or cable with proprietary connectors, I still do it though, but only when I have to.

I got my grip from digital-rev so it only cost £85 instead of £110+ from UK retailers. I consider £85 expensive for what it is, over a ton is almost robbery!

Still, I'm glad I have it now and despite the cost I think it will prove to be a worthwhile purchase.

I got mine from onestop-digital.com, so it cost £105 for the grip and battery as opposed to £150 or so it would cost from the UK.
I'd never go back, the camera is much nicer to use with a grip, it feels much more balanced and the battery life almost seems like more than twice what it used to be :)

This friday when i purchase the rest of my stuff the D80 grip and another battery will cost me £107 :/

Why don't you have to turn the camera for vertical shots if you have a battery grip? And how does it make battery life longer?
I've been considering getting one for my 350d.. but I'm thinking it won't feel comfy, as my hands are small and as it is now, it fits so well in my hands.
x

Why don't you have to turn the camera for vertical shots if you have a battery grip? And how does it make battery life longer?
I've been considering getting one for my 350d.. but I'm thinking it won't feel comfy, as my hands are small and as it is now, it fits so well in my hands.
x

The horizontal camera hold is more stable than the vertical camera hold so, in theory at least, with a battery grip vertical shots should be more shake free than without.

The battery grip holds 2 batteries.

You must have very small hands if the 350d fits comfortably in them!

x

You still have to turn the camera for vertical shots, but the battery grip provides a side grip to make it pretty much ergonomically the same as when the camera is in the landscape position. In other words, you will be able to hold the camera in the portrait position (vertically) comfortably like landscape and have all the functions of shutter release and dials. The battery power is increased due to the grip being able to hold two batteries (instead of the cameras capability of only one.) This offers double the battery power. :)

The battery power is a good thing.. but I have my second battery in my bumbag (well. its more utility belt now - water bottle holder and my point and shoot hang from it) so its not hard to change it.

And yes I do have very small hands.

Depends what you are shooting CC - the 350D has a really annoying battery level display that goes from showing fully charged to flat in a couple of shots... with two batteries in use in one go I found you don't normally run out in a 900+ shot day of motorsport- otherwise you could be sure that that amazing crash right in front of you is while you are looking for your spare battery...

Back