Battery grip - to buy or not buy?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm toying with the idea of getting a battery grip, specifically the MB-D200 for my D200.

I am currently shooting mostly weddings and portraits and find that over 50% of my photographs are in the portrait orientation. I actually find it pretty easy to shoot vertically without a battery grip so I'm questioning if I really need it.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from battery grip owners about the difference that a battery grip makes.

One advantage would be the greater battery life without having to change. It always catches me out at weddings and 2 batteries tend to last me the day.

So, do I buy it or not?

I have a grip on my 400d and wouldnt be without it, it gives the camera a much better feel to it, plus of coarse extended battery life.
In fact it hasn't come off since I bought it.

:agree:

I have one on my 30D and 400D and wouldn't be without them. Once you have one your camera just feels wrong without it. The batteries seem to go on forever and your camera is much easier to handle, especially with big lenses on. I took my 30D on holiday without the grip (to reduce weight) and I really missed it

The D200 is already a well balanced camera, more weight and more sizeable than the 400D so I'm not sure if the improved feel would be as pronounced.

I suppose I kinda want it so it makes me look more professional but I don't think that's a very good reason for buying one. Maybe I'd be better saving the pennies and getting the 70-200 f2.8 VR that I have my beady eyes on...

The D200 is already a well balanced camera, more weight and more sizeable than the 400D so I'm not sure if the improved feel would be as pronounced.

If my experience with it on the 30D is anything to go by I think you'd be surprised tbh :)

I have one for my 30d and dont use it!

it feels odd and even with it on, I turn the camera round like i always do for a vertical shot!!

I have one for my 30d and dont use it!

it feels odd and even with it on, I turn the camera round like i always do for a vertical shot!!

tsk, there's always one :D :LOL: :p

Well, it's definitely a split decision at the moment! I can get one off ebay for £85 which is tempting me. I just have the nagging question 'do I really need it?'

Ever since buying the MB-D200, it's never left the camera even with a small lens on. The camera feels right and the grip is very ergonomic.

Get one through Kerso and you'll save quite a bit of cash compared to Warehouse Express and others.

Cheers,

Adam.

Ever since buying the MB-D200, it's never left the camera even with a small lens on. The camera feels right and the grip is very ergonomic.

Get one through Kerso and you'll save quite a bit of cash compared to Warehouse Express and others.

Cheers,

Adam.

What's the quality of the MB-D200 like? I have heard that it's a little shoddy and plasticky in comparison to the finish on the D200 and also that it's better to mount it on a tripod without the battery grip on, not that I use my tripod much mind.

It is plasticky round the back but where your hand grips during portrait shots, it's the same as the vertical grip on the D200 itself.

Having 2 batteries makes life better when you're out all day either at weddings or at airshows like myself and a few others on this forum.

As far as the tripod/monopod goes, I've only used mine via the lens as I've got the Siggy 120-300mm f/2.8 which has a quality lens mount. This balances everything out with the weight of the lens versus the camera & grip.

Cheers,

Adam.

I have the MB80 on my D80 and couldn't do without it. I have fairly large hands and find that the battery grip gives me a better hold both vertically and horizontally. Consequently better stabilization. As previously said very ergonomic.

No problems mounting the camera with grip on my tripod.

I have the d200 with the mbd200 grip and 70-200 2.8 vr attached, it makes for a nice well balanced bit of kit especially with that lens on. It's also good using in portrait mode. I didn't think this would bother me much but it really does make a difference at a wedding physically and aesthetically, the shutter and aperture can be controlled in the same way you would without the grip as it has the dials and the shutter button in the same configuration ready to be used in portrait mode.

When I get my second d200 body I'll probably aim to get a grip for that too.

i dont like it when you put it down on a level surface and it tips forward and the end of the lens touches the surface :shrug:

I considered getting one the same time as I got my D200, as it was one of the deal options on Ebay. I even planned to get one at a later date, but I'm glad I didn't. A friend of mine had one (or the Fuji equivalent) on a Fuji S5 Pro, and it was too big for my hand. :( It also orientates the camera the wrong way to my face. Sad really, because the extra battery life was tempting and would have come in handy from time to time.

That would be the main reason I'd get one if I was a wedding or event photographer, the option to double up on batteries. If you are comfortable holding the camera to take portraits, then I would try to test one to see if you find it more or less comfortable. Of course if you are forever running out of batteries, and have the cash to spare, there's nothing too lose. ;)

Listen to the yes camp you wont regret it, but don’t bother with the AA batteries stick with the ENEL3e. I know the Nikon is £50 but you can get really good ones here, (Energiser),for less than half the Nikon price.
http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/acatalog/NIKONBATTERIES.htm

I already have an army of ebay EN-EL3e copies so I'm sorted for them, think I have 4 now actually. They work just as well as the nikon one. £50 for a battery is insanity.

I got the grip with my 5D and apart from the first 2 weeks it has not been on the camera since. As far as I'm concerned it makes the camera heavy, clumsy and unbalanced. I'm considering selling it but have not for fear of some huge benefit of it dawning on me and regretting the decision. Don't think it is going to happen though.

Seems to be many more people that like grips than hate them.

Soz then (except RobP) - but I'm a 'it's a Waste of money' chap

And if the ladies can forgive me - it's all about "Male Jewellery" - the, it's big therefore it's good idea is just daft. I'm Sec of my local camera club and they all have them, yet none of them takes nearly enough photos in a day to need one. Some have even admitted 'it looks better' - derrr

That said, as a wedding photographer you just MIGHT need more battery power than one set, so just buy two. As you have two why bother?

My D100 NEVER ran out of power on a wedding shoot with its main battery charged that morning, and my D2Xs doesn't even register it's done any work unless more than 600 shots are taken; 1,000 in a day before the battery indicator gets to half.

Of course the D2Xs is so big it already has the 'battery grip' equivalent for vertical shooting, but to be fair I rarely use it. Years of simply flipping the camera on its side and using the top plate button before there was an alternative still holds fast

£80burning a hole? Buy an Expodisc - it'll save you hours of post-processing with WB issues and every wedding pro should have one

Then use NX on batch with D-Lighting and most of the job's done for you in post-pro

Up to you mate - make life easier (if you don't already have an Expo) or 'look good' by carrying a chunk of more weight you don't need

Just a thought! LOL

Ok then - a vote from the other side of the camp.

I have the grip for my 30D - and it rarely leaves the camera. It makes the camera better balance and by far more comfortable in the hand when using heavy lenses like my 70-200 f2.8IS - and now to be honest it feels odd even with smaller, lighter lenses if I've not got it on. I took it off so as to make the camera less "in your face" for the wedding I went to the other weekend and I really wished I'd left it in place - by the end of the day my hands were aching. For working in portrait orientation there is a school of thought that suggests it will give better results than the usual turning the camera to the side, as your hands will naturally fall into the correct position and thus it reduces the risk of shake.

The ONLY way you will know which side of the fence you fall on is to get out and actually try one.

Witch - is a good comment (sorry, I like the pun)

If you can try one, see if you like it before you buy one

The vertical shutter release does give the opportunity for a stronger holding of the camera, which can then mean less camera shake

Had the grip on my 350D, came with it, never took it off. Particularly a problem with the 350d or 400d as the body is TINY and getting a good grip when using long, heavy lenses is tricky. Felt a little odd when you only have a little nifty fifty on it but...

The controls for portrait orientation are also a bonus too - if you remember to use them! I always found myself forgetting for the first few shots! (not that I have taken much in portrait orientation!)

This week I have got a 30D and despite it being a bigger body I have still bought the battery grips.

I mainly do motorsport piccies and with fast action I don't want to be finding I have run out of battery at a critical moment (yes usually something else goes wrong, but at least its never the battery!! One less thing to go wrong is how I see it!)

In my book the best non-glass addon you can buy for your camera!

The vertical shutter release does give the opportunity for a stronger holding of the camera, which can then mean less camera shake

I think that would be biggest reason for me to get one. A lot of my work is low-light and I am often chancing it at the lower shutter speeds so any help with stability would be a real bonus.

I've actually just picked up my camera to see the difference in stability of holding with the two different orientations and it does feel more stable with the horizontal grip as you can tuck your arms into your body, something you can't do when holding vertically.

I think I'm almost sold on it now

i recently bought a grip for my d80 and whilst it makes it much easier to hold the second shutter button seems to be a hair trigger thing.it can of course be locked out of use .
just been looking on fleabay and the seller(imagingdivision) is still selling them £79.99 incl p&p.
otherwise known as ajpurdy.co.uk arrived 2 days later
as for 70-200f2.8vr do the same as me and buy both:D

Oops, just ordered one! Getting it from digitalRev, hopefully it will turn up before next weeks portrait session so I can put it through its paces properly. I stuck it on the credit card so at least I won't have to worry about how I can afford it for another month.

The extra stability and improved battery life were the main selling points for me, both of which I have a need for.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I found them really useful.

as for 70-200f2.8vr do the same as me and buy both:D

My credit card can just about handle 85 quid, a grand however is whole different kettle of fish! I'm going to actually have to save up for that one, it is nect on the list though. Only problem then is that my camera bag will be too small and I'll need a new one of them, even more money... that's this photography lark for you I guess.

yes i know what you mean ,my other half was working the streets for months before i could afford it:whistle:

Just get it

finally got the grip today and I do like it. The camera does feel better balanced, particularly with a flash mounted. It's also handy that if you just have it slung over your shoulder it doesn't flop over because of the weight of the flash like it does without the grip.

I think the extra stability when holding vertically will come in to its own in time too.

On the downside the quality is disappointing. I had heard that the build quality of the MB-D200 didn't match that of the D200 and this is certainly borne out. It doesn't look quite as weather sealed as the D200 either which is a little worrying.

I'm looking forward to trying it out with some real subjects sometime.

On the downside the quality is disappointing. I had heard that the build quality of the MB-D200 didn't match that of the D200 and this is certainly borne out.

It's not just Nikon that build shoddy grips. The one for the Eos 5D is woeful. It feels good enough to hold but stick it on a tripod and the camera wobbles around like a jelly.

If I'm tripod mounting for something important I will definitely be removing the grip.

It's puzzling why these grips are of such lower quality when you consider the usual standards of both companies and that both grips are for professional grade cameras.

. The one for the Eos 5D is woeful. It feels good enough to hold but stick it on a tripod and the camera wobbles around like a jelly.
i had the same problem with the grip for my d80 but some card ,cut to shape and forming a gasket solved the problem.

If I'm tripod mounting for something important I will definitely be removing the grip.

It's puzzling why these grips are of such lower quality when you consider the usual standards of both companies and that both grips are for professional grade cameras.

The prices are terrible as well considering you buy a battery grip, and it doesn't even come with batteries!

i had the same problem with the grip for my d80 but some card ,cut to shape and forming a gasket solved the problem.

by name but not by nature eh..... :LOL:

Good tip, cheers. :beer:

[QUOTE=dazzaj by name but not by nature eh..... :LOL:

ah yes but after many years of pretending to be a fool i actually believe it myself.;)

Back