Battery Grip :(

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I popped into Jessops this morning with a handful of voucher to buy myself a Battery grip for my camera ( Ive wanted one for AGES! )

Anyway, I got it home, attached it to my D80 with the 80-200
but I cant use the tripod using the tripod collar of the lens, becasue the battery grip knocks against the head of the tripod limiting its use, meaning I cant flick it round into portrait mode which was one of the main reasons why I wanted the battery grip :(

So Ive decided im going to take it back and get a refund, :(

You could just change the tripod head. The 390 is more of a video head anyway.

Do the lenses you're using have tripod collars?
Failing that, can you not just attach to the base of the battery grip instead, less than ideal I know but that's what I settle for with my lenses without tripod collars & imo a battery grip is a must have accessory :shrug:

^ Yep I do that, just attatch to the base of the grip. However, with an 80-200 it's probably not a good idea, the weight of the lens could damage the mount (or the lens itself...or both).

You could go for a ball head. They are cheap and hold plenty of weight. The battery grip will be the perfect counter balance for your 80-200.

Best if you can try some in a shop really as I had problems mounting my 20D with a grip and a 70-200 f/2.8 onto my old 486 ballhead.

Ah thanks guys,

Guess I wont take it back just yet then.

The 80-200 does have a tri-pod collor yes. but its about 3mm too close to the body, other wise it wouldnt be a problem with the head,

I cant get the camera to sit level, I also cant put the camera on the tripod with the lens on, and I want it mounted at the collar so that I can quickly move to portrait mode ( for some reason.)

I've had this problem - the problem seems to be with Manfrotto - although in my case with Canon 1d...

i had the same problem with a similar set up ( D 80 + battery grip + 70 -200 on a 804 head )

have you tried rotating the quick release plate 90 degrees so that the arrow pointing to lens is at 90 degrees to lens , a simple ( like me )cure it solved the problem for me.

have you tried rotating the quick release plate 90 degrees so that the arrow pointing to lens is at 90 degrees to lens , a simple ( like me )cure it solved the problem for me.

Thats what I do. There are 2 arrows on my quick release plate... at 90° to each other probably just for this type of setup. When put at the sideways one all works fine.

Back