Battery help for ancient Pentax K1000

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All
Shocked to discover that I can no longer get a V 400 PX 1.35V battery
All the batteries in Tandy are 1.55V so my first question is, can I get away with one and if so what would the spec number be?

My other option seems to be obtain a portable light meter. I've never used one before and perhps they are as rare as the battery?

Thank you and I look forward to your suggestions
Roger

Plenty of good lightmeter apps for smart phones.

LR/SR44 is the correct battery for the K1000. No need to mess around with other batteries or Wein cells.

Thank you all for your replies
The LR44 and the SR44 both deliver 1.5V. The battery I removed is rated at 1.35V.
Does this difference matter?
Incidentally the manual does not give a volatage, merely states: "Mallory PX-400 or RM-400 R or equivalent"
What was the order of manufacture? Asahi Pentax SP100 came before or after the K1000?

Last edited:
It sounds as though the light meter isn't directly dependent on a particular voltage from the battery, because the K1000 has a built in voltage regulator which it goes through first, so anything of high enough power (ie anything over 1.35v) will suffice. So your best bet is the SR44s which hold a level charge over their lifetime and won't dip in voltage with time as do the LR44s.

Last edited:
Are you saying you have an SP1000 or a K1000? If it's a K1000, the correct battery is the SR44 or equivalent (see link to the manual above). If it's an SP1000, then you can still use a silver oxide battery because the meter has a bridge circuit that can handle the difference in voltage without changing the reading. For advice on specific batteries that work well in the Spotmatics, see:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums...atic-sp-meter-not-responding.html#post3108278

Last edited:
Back