Battery Operated LED Light Recommendations?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Looking to get a couple of LED lights that have power control, something like the Yongnuo YN300 series, any other brand/s at a realistic price? Thankyou, Russ.

I like these Viltrox 116t panels. Colour temp adjustable, and takes either a 12v supply or the widely used Sony NP-F batteries - which come in various capacities. The battery clips to the back, so the light will take any size NP-F battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZN9YOE/

Hi, Many thanks for reply will have a look. Russ.

Last edited:
what I find interesting about this question is that as recently a two years ago no one would have asked it.

The arrival and rise of LED lighting has been as fast and profound as the arrival of digital cameras. and that many of them can be "Flashed" for greater power has increased their versatility.

however few people seem to know that an ordinary Tungsten lamp, of yesteryear, could also be flashed with out burning it out. Though the currents and voltages needed were perhaps the reason it was rarely done.

Hi i was about to ask something similer. I notice the light is about £30 and i found these batteries (not sony) and a charger for about £20. Thats about £50.

I was wondering if there are any recommendations for something that takes AAs as i already have a load and a charger. 7Day shop used to to an led light similer to this one but doesnt seem to stock it any more. These take AAs you can stack them and the cost about £12. It doesnt give specifics but just wondered if anyone has any experience with these.

Also by "Flashing" does that mean using it like a flash. If so i can see in the description of either the recommendation above or this one on how to do that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulanzi-Ultra-Bright-Video-Light/dp/B07D1M7Y5R/ref=pd_sbs_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07D1M7Y5R&pd_rd_r=d2a6b717-ed83-11e8-8f7c-734f98c58a09&pd_rd_w=kO7iH&pd_rd_wg=9veHx&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=ESD74646VCDECP4KTK3K&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=ESD74646VCDECP4KTK3K

Last edited by a moderator:
The "flash" isn't really a flash - or if it is, ie short enough to be classed as a flash, there's no point and here's why: say you are shooting 1/100th of a second with an LED light, on all the time. You get 1/100th of a seconds worth of light out of it during the exposure. Now, one manufacturer of LED lights claims theirs are 500% brighter in flash mode. Ie the rate of delivery of light energy is 5 times as fast. If it really flashes - ie has a flash duration similar to a typical studio head of 1/500th of a second, then you only got the same amount of light out of it as if it had been all for the entire exposure time (it delivers 5 times faster, but for only 1/5th of the time). If it's faster than that, say the duration of a typical speed-light at 1/900th of a second, you're actually getting about half the light out as you would have done just using it in continuous mode. So, if we accept none of them are that daft, and the light still lasts for 1/100th of a second or so in "flash" mode, then you will get more light, but it isn't a flash - you can't freeze motion with it. Most manufacturers of these "flashing" LEDs are also not daft enough to give out the specs such as flash duration. LED lights are great when you need to balance your light with existing light (say at night, with a street scene). You have to shoot at higher exposure values (higher ISO, wider aperture, slower shutter) anyway, so you may as well use continuous light and see where you're aiming it. You do lose the flash advantage of freezing the subject though - I can steady the background with a tripod or lens VR, but at 1/60th of second I risk blurry subjects. If you need high light output though - just use a real flash: they are 100's of times more powerful - a flash like say a Nikon SB900 is about 60kW at full power (70joules worth of light - ie light made with 70 joules of electrical energy - delivered in just over a millisecond - 1/900th of a second). They're also more portable than a typical LED panel.

few people seem to know that an ordinary Tungsten lamp, of yesteryear, could also be flashed with out burning it out. Though the currents and voltages needed were perhaps the reason it was rarely done.

I was shooting with my 650watt tungsten spots a few weeks ago, and a flash went off. Now studio heads do sometimes flash randomly - if the slave cells are on, you turn on a flickering fluorescent tube, for example. Then I remembered we weren't using flash...:p and when a 650 watt tungsten bulb blows out, it does generate a lot of current: took the fuse and the dimmer with it :)

Hi i was about to ask something similer. I notice the light is about £30 and i found these batteries (not sony) and a charger for about £20. Thats about £50.

I was wondering if there are any recommendations for something that takes AAs as i already have a load and a charger. 7Day shop used to to an led light similer to this one but doesnt seem to stock it any more. These take AAs you can stack them and the cost about £12. It doesnt give specifics but just wondered if anyone has any experience with these.

Also by "Flashing" does that mean using it like a flash. If so i can see in the description of either the recommendation above or this one on how to do that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulanzi-Ultra-Bright-Video-Light/dp/B07D1M7Y5R/ref=pd_sbs_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07D1M7Y5R&pd_rd_r=d2a6b717-ed83-11e8-8f7c-734f98c58a09&pd_rd_w=kO7iH&pd_rd_wg=9veHx&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=ESD74646VCDECP4KTK3K&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=ESD74646VCDECP4KTK3K

What are you planing on using it for? Those are absolutely tiny and only have 49 leds. Going to be way under powered to be useful for most things.

Chears . that light is £260. A bit beyond my budget but thanks.

Ahh ok i see what you mean by "Flash".

I think ill leave it for now and just use a torch till i upgrade camera to one with video then ill need it fixed via hotshoe so will shop around again.

I was going to try some off camera flash profile shots and i also wanted to make some kinda white box/wall as a background and a turntable as a forground. I have a mirror ball motor ( turns very slowly ) and a box of some very old cans of spray paint.

One idea was to use the led ( i guess with some tissue paper in front ) to light the can as it slowly turns and i film it on my phone ( my Canon 1000D doesn't have video )

Also the trouble with working out how much light is limited from some of these things isnt easy as you only get specs on higher end models and some of that doesn't seem right.

When the time comes round again i may have a look at Candle Power Forums also as they tend to be more up on LED technology and measurement than some manufactures it seems. Admittedly it is mainly torches on there tho.

Ps some of the specifics mentioned are a little lost on my but thanks for the replies guys.

PPS this one seems slightly better than the one i posted for the same price.

Cofunkool LED Video Light 64 Portable LED Lights for DSLR

Last edited:
I was going to try some off camera flash profile shots and i also wanted to make some kinda white box/wall as a background and a turntable as a forground. I have a mirror ball motor ( turns very slowly ) and a box of some very old cans of spray paint.

One idea was to use the led ( i guess with some tissue paper in front ) to light the can as it slowly turns and i film it on my phone ( my Canon 1000D doesn't have video )

This might work for you. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WW8HFNT

Also these will be going on sale at 9.45 a.m tomorrow morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07438JXM7

Realistically though apart from the video applications you would be better using a flash.

Also these will be going on sale at 9.45 a.m tomorrow morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07438JXM7

Realistically though apart from the video applications you would be better using a flash.
I looked at the Neewer lights myself but it seems a little like a sprat to catch a whale!! They don't include batteries and they are showing at £25 on the same page so all of a sudden your light has gone up to £60. Thankypou, Russ

I looked at the Neewer lights myself but it seems a little like a sprat to catch a whale!! They don't include batteries and they are showing at £25 on the same page so all of a sudden your light has gone up to £60. Thankypou, Russ

The price on the Neewer lights won't update until tomorrow morning when they are going to be reduced for black friday. Also the price is for 2 x led lights not 1. You can either use AA batteries in those or Nikon and Canon camera batteries.

The price on the Neewer lights won't update until tomorrow morning when they are going to be reduced for black friday. Also the price is for 2 x led lights not 1. You can either use AA batteries in those or Nikon and Canon camera batteries.
Hi, Sorry my bad, didn't notice it was for a 2 set. Will look 2morrow, Thanks, Russ

The "flash" isn't really a flash - or if it is, ie short enough to be classed as a flash, there's no point and here's why: say you are shooting 1/100th of a second with an LED light, on all the time. You get 1/100th of a seconds worth of light out of it during the exposure. Now, one manufacturer of LED lights claims theirs are 500% brighter in flash mode. Ie the rate of delivery of light energy is 5 times as fast. If it really flashes - ie has a flash duration similar to a typical studio head of 1/500th of a second, then you only got the same amount of light out of it as if it had been all for the entire exposure time (it delivers 5 times faster, but for only 1/5th of the time). If it's faster than that, say the duration of a typical speed-light at 1/900th of a second, you're actually getting about half the light out as you would have done just using it in continuous mode. So, if we accept none of them are that daft, and the light still lasts for 1/100th of a second or so in "flash" mode, then you will get more light, but it isn't a flash - you can't freeze motion with it. Most manufacturers of these "flashing" LEDs are also not daft enough to give out the specs such as flash duration. LED lights are great when you need to balance your light with existing light (say at night, with a street scene). You have to shoot at higher exposure values (higher ISO, wider aperture, slower shutter) anyway, so you may as well use continuous light and see where you're aiming it. You do lose the flash advantage of freezing the subject though - I can steady the background with a tripod or lens VR, but at 1/60th of second I risk blurry subjects. If you need high light output though - just use a real flash: they are 100's of times more powerful - a flash like say a Nikon SB900 is about 60kW at full power (70joules worth of light - ie light made with 70 joules of electrical energy - delivered in just over a millisecond - 1/900th of a second). They're also more portable than a typical LED panel.

I was shooting with my 650watt tungsten spots a few weeks ago, and a flash went off. Now studio heads do sometimes flash randomly - if the slave cells are on, you turn on a flickering fluorescent tube, for example. Then I remembered we weren't using flash...:p and when a 650 watt tungsten bulb blows out, it does generate a lot of current: took the fuse and the dimmer with it :)
always seem to blow the fuse... though the dimmer should have been protected by its own fuse. You should hear the bang of a 3K spot blowing. though sometimes it is nothing at all. Or the bang of a large studio flash capacitor failing.

always seem to blow the fuse... though the dimmer should have been protected by its own fuse. You should hear the bang of a 3K spot blowing. though sometimes it is nothing at all. Or the bang of a large studio flash capacitor failing.

It was the fuse in the dimmer that blew - but the dimmer was kaput also - :/

Yes, thank you. What you've found is so much better than what i found and for the same price. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and super shopping skills.

I like the look of the first and kinda only want 1 light but the second is slightly smaller and slightly lighter but you have to buy 2. Ill keep an eye out as the price hasn't dropped just yet.

Thanks again

Thanks purchased at £25.59 +£7 P&P so a bargain:banana:If you use these lights what batteries are you using? I have loads of the AA but looking on Ebay for the Sony it is a Chinese minefield of the NP-FH70, NP-FM55H, NP-F550 batteries. Russ.

Last edited:
I'd see if Ex-Pro do suitable batteries. Usually available from Amazon.

Back