Battery pack for studio heads what are the options ?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Im a bit lost on where to look for so any advice would be great, i have lencarta heads and was looking for some sort of external power pack to power them outside.

I know lencarta do one but was wondering if there was anything else out there that would also work for me.

thanks in advance

What kind of plug to the Lencata's use ? Is it a custom thing or a standard 3-pin that would plug into a wall socket ?

If it is the latter then you have a few options - the former would restrict you to a Lencata pack (as Elinchrom Freelites would to a Ranger pack)

The former could be a Paul Buff Vagabond II, Innovatronix Explorer XT, and undoubtedly a bunch of Chinese manufactured systems.

Depends on your needs and budget.

I recently aquired a secondhand Innovatronix Explorer XT. I've tested it with the studio heads I own, which are 2 x Lencarta Smartflash 200 and 2 x Interfit EXD200. One Lencarta works fine on full power. Two Lencartas work on full power although I did notice that the cooling fans on the heads slow down whilst charging when using 2 heads. The EXD200 (Digital) will work fine with one head but two heads result in the relays cutting in and out on the power unit, as to be expected from the published information. I haven't measured recharge time compared to actual mains use but it still seemed quick enough to me. My batteries are likely to be 4 years old and so a new pair of 12V 7AH SLA batteries will help. It has a heavy duty utilitarian appearance, more arc welder than a work of art and that might bother some users. It can be charged from the mains or a car cigarette lighter, the latter is especially useful when out and about in the middle of nowhere.

Innovatronix publish a compatibility list but it's US market orientated and Lencarta is not mentioned at all. Past posts on this forum indicate that Lencarta Heads are fine but this advice might pre date the lastest digitally controlled Heads. Web comment is that any Studio Head that has analogue control of the power output is likely to be just fine, that is a rotary switch or slider for the power control. Digital Heads demand more peak power to recharge and this causes the relays to flip flop, obviously not good for the head or power unit. Later versions, the Explorer XT SE or the Explorer XT3 are more suited to Digital Heads or Dual Voltage Heads but are more expensive.

The bespoke systems from such as Bowens/Elinchrom/Lencarta/Jinbei are perhaps lower weight but not interoperable with anything else. They are also serious amounts of money and some power units now only support one head, adding another head means adding a second battery pack and more weight/cost. The Explorer can potentially be used with up to 4 older and cheaper heads so it's not as financially embassing if one falls over. It can be used safely for items such as laptops which should be fed pure sine wave output. The cost of readily available batteries is current £30 per pair and Yuotube shows how it is done. Caution is needed when buying older generation bespoke power units as listings for the supply of spare batteries appears be drying up (Lencarta/ Jinbei DC600?).

Overall, I'm very happy to have added the capability to use my existing equipment away from the mains. I paid £123 including postage for my unit and fitted two new fans to replace the noisy ones for £8 (note, wired in series!). It won't suit everybody and if budget is of less concern, then a bespoke system is likely to be a better solution.

The ones i have are the 600's and there a 3 pin plug was wondering if there was a kind of option to be able to make them mobile in any way without having to buy new heads etc

Thanks for the replys

Forget the truly portable power solutions such as the Safari 2 - these are truly stand-alone units designed specifically for portable use, but none of them are compatible with any other make, and usually not with any other model either.

What you're talking about here is using mains powered flash heads with what is basically a car battery fitted to an inverter that converts them to mains power, and the short answer is that Lencarta flash heads, fitted with a standard 13A plug, can be used with any of the commercially-available products such as the Godox, Jinbei and Innovatrix ones.

But, no solution is perfect. The manufacturers tend to be a bit optimistic when they talk about power ratings and the number of flashes that you'll get, it is practicable to use the modelling lamps and recyling times can be longer than expected.

It doesn't make a scrap of difference whether the flash head controls are digital or analogue as long as the inverter is pure sine wave, which it needs to be - converting any modern flash head to any power source that doesn't have a pure sine wave inverter just won't work, or at least it won't work for long before the flash head fails.

Thank you for your reply i will look into products you have spoke about, i dont want my flash heads to fail so starting to think about buying a outdoor kit from lencarta to save me from killing my gear always better to be safe i guess.

Back