BBC News: Gazing monkeys image wins top wildlife photo award

Nice, very nice but, I'd expect more from an image of this apparent calibre. It doesn't make me go 'wow'.

...and the tail going out of frame? :thinking:
Philistine :D

It's a pretty cool image, but without any back-story it could as easily have been taken in a zoo

When it comes to tails you can either keep it all or boldly cut it off in a decisive manner; the school-boy error is when it it's in-between those two and the last bit of the tail hovers just off frame. In this case I'd say just about hovers on the bold-side of the tail cut. That said, I think I'd have cropped off some of the left of the frame that would have lost even a bit more of the tail.

Well given that were talking animals in the wild, the fact that he used flash so it must have taken quite a bit to setup and he would have had one shot at it because as soon as that flashed fired these monkeys would have been off! Cutting off the tail in the composition is forgiveable particularly since the subject image is powerfull enough to overcome that flaw.

What I still can't stand is the processing of the image.....it looks like the monkeys have been painted on a photographed background. It is true that when you Google these monkeys you find plenty of colourful images but they look like good photographs, not selectively over processed against the background.

Could see this image on Hilda's wall on corrie as her latest murial!

IMHO!

Back