BBC Pay

Personally I think the BBC is a bargain, it has faults but the alternatives are unimaginable.

What a lot of people forget is (probably due to misreporting from our lovely newspapers) is that we aren't the only country in the world that has a TV licence. Ireland's is €160 and RTE had ads! There are quite a few in Europe who pay more than us, while some admittedly do pay less than us.

While I do realise there is a choice of whether we pay for The Sun or not, I know for a fact the BBC is cheaper than it per day and a lot better value.

There's definitely a gender and race question to be asked, but that's true if most entertainment and indeed loads of other industries.

But to put this into perspective; the year Ant and Dec went to ITV they earned more than the entire top 20 on the BBC list.

There's definitely a gender and race question to be asked, but that's true if most entertainment and indeed loads of other industries.

But to put this into perspective; the year Ant and Dec went to ITV they earned more than the entire top 20 on the BBC list.

If ITV and C4 were asked to provide their salaries then I think we would be even more surprised.

I guess people are annoyed because the licence fee is mandatory for most, even those who have no interest in watching or listening to anything BBC related so technically we pay their salaries.

Technically the tax payer also funds the salaries for public sector employees and there is often uproar when something comes about showing somebody earns £200k for a public sector job yet that is a measly amount if you are a BBC employee it seems.

If ITV and C4 were asked to provide their salaries then I think we would be even more surprised.

I guess people are annoyed because the licence fee is mandatory for most, even those who have no interest in watching or listening to anything BBC related so technically we pay their salaries.

Technically the tax payer also funds the salaries for public sector employees and there is often uproar when something comes about showing somebody earns £200k for a public sector job yet that is a measly amount if you are a BBC employee it seems.

And while a few on here will say they don't watch TV etc... I would guess that over 90% of people watch TV or listen to radio, the license fee is great value for money.

If the beeb didn't pay good salaries they would lose even more talent to the other players, and then people would moan about the quality of the beeb!

Interesting discussion on gender pay coming out of it - are there really people paying women less because they are women out there? I just cant see it!

I have recruited many people over the years, and thinking about the last 5 I recruited the 2 women got less than the 3 guys. These were all sales roles and our banding was £25-30k basics, ideally starting people on £25k. One guy was offered £25k but negotiated £26k as that what he had been on before (and had started at £27k) so seemed a good compromise. The other 2 were on £30k simply because at the very start of the interview process they set their stall at that level and were able to demonstrate value and experience which meant we were happy to pay (others did demand the same but did not convince us). Both women (1 was out of work) had given a figure of 'mid to late 20s and when offered £25k took it straight away.

Yup. I wouldn't miss BBC TV one bit as I hardly ever watch but I'd miss the radio.

The seeming waste of money often annoys me... I hate the Eurovision Song Contest, when a red top announces how many people the Beeb has seen to the World Cup/Olympics/Whatever and when the newscaster says "Over to X at the scene" and we see someone stood outside a seemingly actionless building...

If the Beeb disappeared into a black hole tomorrow I'd mourn the radio for 5 minutes and then I wouldn't care.

I think mostly it's the blanket imposition of the licence fee that gets up peoples noses.

but I'd miss the radio.
I drive a lot in my job, so I have R2 on most of the time from the early morning gibbering idiot that is V feltz through to the other gibbering idiot that is wrighty.
But TBH I've tried a lot of other stations and prefer that.
Although "Magic" is ok sometimes and "Classic gold" too.

The seeming waste of money often annoys me... I hate the Eurovision Song Contest, .
And don't forget all these reality programmes, I mean seriously? it just appears that ( not only the BBC) like to scrape the bottom of the barrel, now that a large percentage of the
population are hooked on the TV. It seems to be a case of "how low can you go"? :(

If I was offered £1,000,000 per annum for doing a job like that , I'd accept it, and frankly wouldn't give a toss what anyone thought about it.
Anyone who says other wise is either a liar, or a footballer !

The Radio 2 breakfast show and former Top Gear star ( Chris Evens) said the ( his mum) 91-year-old former nurse, Minnie, told him to 'earn what you can, when you can, while you can

I can't see how anyone can argue with that wisdom :)

If I was offered £1,000,000 per annum for doing a job like that , I'd accept it, and frankly wouldn't give a toss what anyone thought about it.

Maybe it's danger money... for working closely with all those (alleged) pervs and sexual predators at the beeb.

And just to be clear that's a :D

And don't forget all these reality programmes, I mean seriously? it just appears that ( not only the BBC) like to scrape the bottom of the barrel, now that a large percentage of the
population are hooked on the TV. It seems to be a case of "how low can you go"? :(
To be fair, the BBC don't show anywhere near the number of 'reality' shows as their commercial competitors.

To be fair, the BBC don't show anywhere near the number of 'reality' shows as their commercial competitors.
TBH I wouldn't know, but I do include cooking stuff, buying stuff, selling stuff, moving somewhere or other, etc etc in that.

BBC 'news' in the morning is just a current affairs programme. Not a news programme. SKY is pretty good.

I still think though, that the BBC is good value for money (y) At 40/50p per day, you can't complain about the cost.

In our house we pay:

BBC Licence fee, for the majority of our 'live' TV, all our radio (which us a constant in the car, on a morning and whenever I'm in the kitchen) and a chunk of our internet content.

Virgin TV, for Bt sports and loads of HD content.

Netflix (the son pays for - Suits and some 'browsable' content)

Amazon Prime, we watch very little of, but it's worth having for photo backup / free delivery

NOW TV, the Mrs just got for Game Of Thrones.

Of all that, the BBC is easily the best VFM.

Netflix and Amazon are both very good content wise. Mostly though it's the lack of adverts that's them more enjoyable (y)

Back