BBC Photographer of the Year 2005

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Just noticed this today on the BBC News website:

Taken from here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4652389.stm

Once again it's time to dust off your camera and put your skills to the test in our annual photography competition.

We'd like you to send in your photos on the themes listed in the box below.

Please interpret the brief as widely as you can - don't just think of the obvious.

THEMES FOR YOUR PICTURES
DEADLINE: THEMES
8 August - My family & friends
22 August - Fashion
5 September - Power
19 September - Work
3 October - Environment
17 October - Spaces
1 November - Final vote
Remember we are looking for compelling photos that will grab our attention.

Current assignment

The current theme is "My family and friends" and the deadline is 8 August.

You can enter up to six pictures for each theme.

Voting

Following the closing date for each theme the eight best pictures will be selected by our picture desk and displayed in a picture gallery on the site. Our readers will then be asked to vote for their favourites.

The two photos that get the most votes will go forward to the final when you will be able to decide who is awarded the title of BBC News website Photographer of the Year.

The prizes

Overall winner chosen by you: The chance to shoot a photographic story of your choice which will then be displayed on the BBC News website. We will contribute up to £400 towards the cost of the project.

In addition there will be an additional prize made to the photographer whose image catches our eye.

Last year's winners
WINNER: Veronica Carter
2nd: Arkadiusz Dziczek
3rd: Phil Charnock
4th: Andrew Fleetwood
Finalists:
Euan Cartwright
Sheila Curzon
Angela M Ferreira
Bob Given
Maxine Khan
Tony Larcombe
Tom Soper
Urszula Zwardon

Photographer of the year 2004
Veronica Carter: Woodland Ways

How to submit a picture

So please get out there and start snapping, then send your pictures to us at:

yourpics@bbc.co.uk

Please remember to put "Photographer of the Year" and the theme you are entering in the subject heading of your e-mail.

Don't forget to include your name and some background information as to what the image is about.

Submissions must be in digital form; ideally Jpegs with a height or width of around 800 pixels. If you have a specific question about the competition please contact the picture editor at the above e-mail address.

It's got the winning entries on the link.

Dont the BBC also have a rigid policy with respect to images submitted they may do what they like with them - effectively signing away your right.

Dont want to be negative, but I've heard this in the past regarding the BBC and their competitions.

tis true, they can do what they want with your image, there were posts on this in the summer!

WINNER: JP Trenque
2nd: Martina Brandstetter
3rd: Jeremy Hunter
4th: Tom Sullam
Finalists:
Benjimin Beer
Martin Jordan
Midori Jordan
Martin Konrad
Gregoire A. Meyer
Keith Naylor
Robert Prendergast