Beach landing Hercules.

What a cracker.....................were you there in an official capacity?

No it’s a public beach and the RAF personal just keep an eye on you.

Excellent ;)

That's a great shot, you were indeed in the right place at the right time. (y)

It is an amazing sight to behold when the Hercules comes in to land I was lucky enough to see it on Saunton Sands in North Devon in 2006, I shot these 2 with a Nikon D2X and 80-400 (V1), not as sharp as yours but a great memory none the less.

_DSC0062.JPG

_DSC0058.JPG

Brilliant shot Rob, I bet they are glad they did not try to do it on Thursday or today, due to the high winds.

how low??
Top shot he's just about to land, bottom shot was the approach run to check the beach then he turned around came back and landed. I was stood towards the edge of the dunes about 30 feet above the beach. Once he was down I couldn't see him from where I was and when I got to a place I coud have he had taken off and was away.

Lovely shot Rob. Right place right time.
I was passing a local disused airfield one evening a couple of years back when I saw a C130 in the circuit. It was flying in and landing on the old perry track which is now just broken concrete, potholes and gravel.
I drove and spoke with some RAF groundcrew who were standing nearby. They said they were doing rough area landings and take offs and were happy for me to take some shots.
Edited to remove images.....don't wish to gatecrash Rob’s post.

Last edited:
Lovely shot Rob. Right place right time.
I was passing a local disused airfield one evening a couple of years back when I saw a C130 in the circuit. It was flying in and landing on the old perry track which is now just broken concrete, potholes and gravel.
I drove and spoke with some RAF groundcrew who were standing nearby. They said they were doing rough area landings and take offs and were happy for me to take some shots.
Edited to remove images.....don't wish to gatecrash Rob’s post.
Please post them!

Back