Beach pics - Wideness

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of beach shots taken using my 18-55 lens:

IMGP0584.jpg

IMGP0546.jpg

Both completely unchanged, just resized.

Any comments that will help me improve them please?

Thanx
Charlie

Shot number 2 there has something, though it needs work I think. All the interest is in the top right corner so I'd crop it down to that and see what that looks like.

I agree wit steep, i like 2 the most although if you zoomed in to frame the bit you currently havee clear that would make a good shot.

just my thoughts

Thanks

MArk

Very difficult conditions for the camera to cope with, hence the blown-out sun.

An NDgrad filter would be useful in these circumstances to balance out the lighting

2nd is my favourite for composition

Simon

The 2nd is better in terms of composition but I would crop the mutt out of the shot, edit out the lens flare and try to lighten the dark areas. Says me like I could ever do that satisfactorily!

The 2nd is better in terms of composition but I would crop the mutt out of the shot, edit out the lens flare and try to lighten the dark areas. Says me like I could ever do that satisfactorily!

Inside every lump of coal there is a diamond waiting to be let out.........maybe.......

IMGP0546.jpg

To be honest, you're better getting it right in camera though as the amount of processing gone into this has rather killed the quality. As mentioned above, some ND grad filters would've worked wonders. I'd also advise not going down as far as f22. Past a certain point images get softer due to defraction. If you'd focused on this part of the image you'd have some nice lines to lead your eyes into the shot and not too much wasted space!

Thanks for the comments guys. 2 is my favourite too. I'll have a play with the original. But tbh i think i needed a tripod to get that shot properly, as it is atm i'm waiting on one.

Thanks again
Charlie

Notice you have the K10D, I use the equivalent GX10.

I very rarely go beyond F11 & with my landscapes ALWAYS shoot RAW, even moreso in difficult lighting conditions such as this - you have a much better chance of recovering the shot (maybe by 2 different conversions of the RAW, one for highlights & one for shadows)

Bracketing is another option worth considering

Simon

Thanks simon, this one was bracketed manually, and i like this version best.

I'll have to get a bigger card and start shooting in raw then. i just need to get a program that lets u veiw them first. Dont want to have to look at 50-60 photos in ps, that'd take me ages.

Thanks simon, this one was bracketed manually, and i like this version best.

I'll have to get a bigger card and start shooting in raw then. i just need to get a program that lets u veiw them first. Dont want to have to look at 50-60 photos in ps, that'd take me ages.

One of the great things about the K10D is its functionality.

The "RAW button" on the front is ideal for situations like this if you have your menu settings on .jpg. You can shoot most of your shots in .JPG but when confronted by tricky situations just give the button a quick press !!

Simon

Back