Beach shoot

Edit My Images
No
Help!!!

Ive been asked to do a beach shoot (not to hard to shoot) but the model has asked to shoot in the dark and just her lit in the photo.

Any ideas? :thinking::thinking:

So what's the point in going to the beach if you aren't going to see it? You may as well do it in a studio.

If it's pitch black, what effect will shooting on the beach have? Unless she is lying on the sand?

You could stop the ambient light using other means (shooting in the day) which overall may make the process easier. You won't end up face down in the sand having tripped over anything...

she want the water lashing over her when shes lying half in the water and half out

Does she realise how insanely cold the water will be at night?

I'd perhaps try the following:

1. Get level with her so you can't see the immediate sand behind her
2. Try Spot Exposure on the model. Even a moderately fast shutter speed should black out the background at night on the beach.
3. Watch out for any ambient light that may interfere.
4. You could try some Post Processing and transform the full colour flash into some cool blues to make it look like all the illumination came from the moon.

Something like this (ignore the composition, I'm only illustrating the moonlight effect - best I could find quickly):

Moonlight_Sonata_by_Aegils.jpg

I would shoot during the day, stopping down the ambient light as described above. In the good old movie days such "night shots" were called "la nuit americaine". - Would also prevent your model from getting a pneumonia in the cold water...

In addition you can gel your flash(es) with full CTO and set the WB to 3200K, which gives you not only a dark (by stepping down) but also blueish background (from the color shift).

If required, the moon can be brought in in PS.

Just lighting her isn't that hard
Getting a moonless night given the state of the weather lately, isn't going to be that hard either, just use the cloud cover.
I'd go for a sunset, or just after sunset shoot instead of pitch dark. You're going to struggle to get starlight in due to light pollution (which is another thing to contend with)

Apart from safety, as the beach at night with gear isn't going to be an easy plance to work, challenges I'd expect to face are....

Model not realising how cold it will be (Tenby's not Tenerife, and certainly not Trinidad)
Needing to get in the water yourself with camera.
Probably needing to get a light or two into the water

Sort of thing she's looking for, if it's the lying in the surf looking sultry (whilst hiding goosebumps), is easily enough done with a large softbox, pretty low to the ground with you lying and shooting from underneath. Have a look through Nudes & Glamour for Jason Cole's stuff, he does lots of this type of thing.

For a less gear intensive style of shooting, and a bit of a laugh too, have a look at Tomas Whitehouse's BTS video's here for a late evening water based shoot.

http://www.tomaswhitehouse.com/2009/08/05/king-for-a-day/

Oh, and expect the mother of all retouching jobs dealing with how her body reacts to the cold water. Goosebumps are a royal PITA to get rid of.

Last edited:
The sea is actually at it's warmest at the moment (just over 18 celcuis) and does not cool off much more than that at night (it takes days to cool, not hours). The ambient air temperature will be colder than the sea temperature at night so the sea will feel warm. The cold wind will be your main issue once your model is wet.

Trev

Back