Beachy Head Lighthouse at Sunrise.

Edit My Images
Yes
Have several threads from the trip down there at the moment but I have just processed this one and I rather like it was wondering if you could tear it apart for me.

I think I caught the best of the light in this one.

109259271.jpg

Nigel

lovely photo, is that human bones washed up there.. ha ha

Thanks for the comments Sammy OG, I hope not as I was clambering all over them for at least 3 hours and I have plenty on my boots and combats....

Just out of shot on the left is a huge pile of timber that I guess they did not want to recover, must be left over from one of the boats that shed their load a while back...

Would make a great bonfire is anyone is ever caught out by the tide, would be seen for miles.

Nigel

The exposure is well balanced considering its heavily back lit! good ground detail and a nice comp..

I wish id been able to get to see the lighthouse from the beach!! lol.. next time i'll attempt it from the easy side.. :LOL:

The exposure is well balanced considering its heavily back lit! good ground detail and a nice comp..

I wish id been able to get to see the lighthouse from the beach!! lol.. next time i'll attempt it from the easy side.. :LOL:

Cheers mate... I have been studying the route from the other direction on Google earth and I think I will do a reccee soon to see if it will be easier on the knees.

Once I have the recon intel i will holler out and we can arrange an early morning raid into enemy territory and this time we will have to bring along the light horse division to ensure a swift retreat....I was thinking a Sunday early morning raid under the cover of darkness once the tides and times are right.

Nigel

Dont do that!! i fancy a ride on one of those power boats that pick people up!!! lol...

Im up for a revisit! or maybe find another place to go.. a different lighthouse..

really nicely balanced, you must have been down there well early for sunrise!

Thanks for the comments Tristan, we arrived at Birling Gap at around 6am then there was a 45min route march to get to the lighthouse along the beach, covered in fallen Chalk boulders and nothing but moonlight to see by for the first 20 to 30 mins...

Hard going but worth it...

Nigel

I've looked at a few picture threads this evening and I've been a bit negative so far and some threads I didn't post in just because I only had bad things to say.

Think I'll call it a night now so I can end on a high point :) . Difficult light that could have ruined this but I think you have pulled it off. some nice composition elements in there too. If you have done a lot of processing to it, it doesn't show up as such. There is a little softness to it but that is probably down to the file size. Nice shot :)

I've looked at a few picture threads this evening and I've been a bit negative so far and some threads I didn't post in just because I only had bad things to say.

Think I'll call it a night now so I can end on a high point :) . Difficult light that could have ruined this but I think you have pulled it off. some nice composition elements in there too. If you have done a lot of processing to it, it doesn't show up as such. There is a little softness to it but that is probably down to the file size. Nice shot :)

RobertP

Many thanks for the kind words I have tried to be restrained in my processing of late as I feel I have been overdoing it and the images have been suffering from it. In addition I have been attempting to find a happy medium for my sharpening as well. Once again thanks for the comments.

Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
A spectacular photograph here Nigel. I really like the composition and well balanced exposure. Good control to keep detail in both shadows and highlights. I've considered a shot from around there myself but haven't ever gotten around to it. I've never approached from Birling Gap but I've taken the route down from Cow Gap before which wasn't too bad. Mind you I was doing it in daylight!

Back