Bean Bags .... Wildlife Photography

Outdoorphotographygear and wildlifewatchingsupplies both sell them too

I had my first bean bag long before the internet days,i filled it with tick beans,it worked great but boy was it heavy :eek:

I had my first bean bag long before the internet days,i filled it with tick beans,it worked great but boy was it heavy :eek:

My first home made bag was filled with polls styrene balls. It blew of the bridge and floated away down the river, I kid you not

My first home made bag was filled with polls styrene balls. It blew of the bridge and floated away down the river, I kid you not

The first time I used mine (which was a present) I was in a rather rudimentary hide built out over a reservoir. I had to go home as I kept having visions of it falling out of the window. I now have a length of string on it with a loop to put my wrist through. It doesn't look very professional but at least if I drop it it won't curtail another session.

I have a few different types ,avoid the ones filled with poly balls as they are to light mine have all been filled with a 50 /50 mix of poly balls and bird seed giving flex and weight
The thing is here whether you been a bean bag or not depends on your lens ,if it's only the likes of a 400 f5.6 then hand holding is fine

Not much of a fan of beanbags/pads... but they are just about the most stable support if you're really pushing limits and your subject is fairly stationary.

Last edited:
Back