Beanbag / cloth

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all

Im trying to find a decent little beanbag or the like to use on night shoots and the such. I often shoot from ground level and want something to go underneath my camera to prevent scratches etc. I want it to be as thin as possible to keep the camera as low as possible. So far the best ive seen is this http://rigu.co.uk/red-the-pod-bean-...rG52gVpSOQP3I1acE3ekS-jyBPeXK6AxoCgIEQAvD_BwE.

Im open to suggestions and will mainly be using a 6d2 and 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8.

thanks in advance

What is the subject you are shooting? If it is stationary or relatively so, then I would suggest something like the Kinesis SafariSack. It is essentially a flat bean bag that you can then fold/conform to hold a position with a lot of stability... Making something similar would be a pretty easy DIY.

Edit: or the one Peter linked to... he posted while I was typing.

Last edited:
Hi

It wil mainly be used for static targets, mostly at night with long exposures. The one posted by Peter looks like the type of thing im after.

What about a gorillapod slr-zoom as an alternative, legs opened right out and no head

What about a gorillapod slr-zoom as an alternative, legs opened right out and no head
Overpriced gadget IMO (yes, I have one)... no way it's going to reliably support a 70-200/2.8 except *maybe* completely flat. Maybe the redesigned 5K version would work, IDK... but I still wouldn't buy one.

Why not just make your own? I use beanbags on a regular basis and have never paid for one, leg from an old pair of trousers or similar, cut to length, sew one end, fill with your chosen filling and sew up the other end. I have half a dozen of various sizes and in combination will support just about anything....

Last edited:
Overpriced gadget IMO (yes, I have one)... no way it's going to reliably support a 70-200/2.8 except *maybe* completely flat. Maybe the redesigned 5K version would work, IDK... but I still wouldn't buy one.

However IMO a handy versatile photographic tool with a weight capacity more than the camera and lenses being talked about. I did buy one and quite happy with it.

However IMO a handy versatile photographic tool with a weight capacity more than the camera and lenses being talked about. I did buy one and quite happy with it.
AWhat was mentioned is a full frame DSLR w/ a 70-200/2.8 or 24-70/2.8. I put my camera w/ 24-70/2.8 on it and it slowly collapses to the floor... or not so slowly...

A gorillapod slr-zoom is rated at 3kg. A 6d2 with battery and card is around 765g and a canon 70-200 2.8 appears to be up to around 1500g (dont know which 70-200 the op has). Putting them together gives about 2.25kg which is less than the tripod weight rating.

Cant comment on your experience, only my own

A gorillapod slr-zoom is rated at 3kg. A 6d2 with battery and card is around 765g and a canon 70-200 2.8 appears to be up to around 1500g (dont know which 70-200 the op has). Putting them together gives about 2.25kg which is less than the tripod weight rating.

Cant comment on your experience, only my own

It may be a leverage effect - the gorillapod might be OK with 3kg balanced centrally, but if 1.5kg is a longish lens bringing plenty of leverage then it may well become the equivalent of a lot more than 3kg.

A video/pictures would probably put the argument to a rest as to what it can support ;)

I certainly remember it collapsing when I tried Sony A99+70-400mm in it. But I haven't got the tripod or such a heavy setup to test with again

I've got the Gorillapod slr-zoom. It was slightly iffy with my heavier lenses, needed more care in setting up to avoid dropping/collapsing problems. When I got a very heavy lens, which plus my camera came to about 2.8Kg, it was annoyingly difficult to make it stable. I got the Gorillapod Focus in a sale (now known as the 5K I think, with aluminium balls) which handles it no problem.

I used to use a bank coin bag filled with polypropylene beans for long range pistol shooting - now the pistols are gone it is great for camera work. Low/light and cheap. If you ask really nicely your bank may have bags in dark green - they are the ones for 20p pieces if memory serves.

Worth a try?

You can get those bean bags for putting in the oven for aching muscles for a £1 from let me think,oh yes pound shops lol.i have 2 and find them adequate for stabilising

thanks for all the suggestions people,I think im going to try the bank bag o start with and if i luck out with that then a bit of DIY may be in order.

try more than one support...then they will take out any overturning effet
one under the body to absorb any mirror vibrations...if you have one...i dont and
one under the centre of gravity of the lens...so that will take off strain on the mount and make the whole system balanced
the poundshop idea is good...saves worrying about forgetting them/loosing them
a trainer or boot will do as well...body on the toe and lens on the heel
anything for a laugh
good luck
cheers
geof

Back