"Bear" faced cheek

Name
Bat-Frog
Edit My Images
No
Happens quite frequently, about 14 years ago my dad had one of the largest restoration companies of the mini (classic car) - because he had MINI in the business name, BMW sent him a legal letter giving him a notice period to change the name or face legal action even though dad's business had been established since 89, as you can imagine - the case was thrown out and dad was awarded damages for potential damage to reputation and business.

Happens quite frequently, about 14 years ago my dad had one of the largest restoration companies of the mini (classic car) - because he had MINI in the business name, BMW sent him a legal letter giving him a notice period to change the name or face legal action even though dad's business had been established since 89, as you can imagine - the case was thrown out and dad was awarded damages for potential damage to reputation and business.

Similar thing in Kent. There's a garage called Top Gear and the BBC in the min 90's served them notice that unless they changed the name, the BBC would pursue a civil case against them for breach of copyright. The owner told them to shove it somewhere and allowed the case to proceed. As they had been running their family garage since 1967, the case was thrown out and substantial damaged awarded to the garage owner.

Is this the same "adventurer" that was caught staying in hotels when he was supposed the be wild camping ?
perhaps he should argue the toss with a Grizzly about the use of the name.

Yes!!! The very same. King of the "Motel 6" :LOL:

TBH the first time I ever heard "that name"
I'd never seen the programme or heard of the guy.
I had assumed that it was something to do with BBQing Ursidae

Well,not my fault is it? :D

TBH the first time I ever heard "that name"
I'd never seen the programme or heard of the guy.
I had assumed that it was something to do with BBQing Ursidae

Well,not my fault is it? :D

You're so speshul :LOL: :LOL:

Apparently Bear what's his face did not know what the lawyers were up and has called them off

Linky

What a tool/bunch of tools!!

Ray Mears is the one who really p***es me off.

I love his programmes, but have you seen the prices he charges for stuff?
And they are all sold out at £375? must be a bargain :D

Look elsewhere for an argument Ruth.

Oh please.
Calling something outrageous just because it's expensive is daft.
My making a comment isn't "looking for an argument".

Oh please.
Calling something outrageous just because it's expensive is daft.
My making a comment isn't "looking for an argument".

He had a point. Look how you acted in the Stewart thread. Over-aggressive just for the sake of it. Accusing me of editing a thread title, when I never did, and even adding an imaginary reason for me to do so. You've got issues.

He had a point. Look how you acted in the Stewart thread. Over-aggressive just for the sake of it. Accusing me of editing a thread title, when I never did, and even adding an imaginary reason for me to do so. You've got issues.

Your comment regarding the other thread are best kept there methinks.
As for this one, it might be outrageous if the items in question were something we're all required to have, but calling it that based simply on price is daft.

Don't derail the thread with arguing, please.

Don't argue with 'the woman' :D

The lawyers wrote that the logo is "very similar" to their client's "Bear" mark and covers "identical and similar goods, namely knives and sheaths for knives".

Nah - they had a bear paw, Bear Grylls sells his knives through Gerber so they have the Gerber mark and orange BG lettering as the trademark.

I met Bear at the Wiltshire Scout meeting and presentation at Avebury the other year. Really nice bloke. Arrived by helicopter and I heard a few comments of 'flash git' but he made a speach, and in it explained the helicopter meant he could cut his journey time, so he had more time to be there. And he did, he stayed for ages, talking to everyone, ignoring the high ups and chatting to the boys, showing them techniques. Top bloke in my book.

That's not as good a story though of the small company struggling against the big man ;) The publicity wouldn't have done them any harm...

I looked at Bear Blades website for about two minutes and have spent the last half an hour looking at all the fancy knives and hatchets in the Bear Grylls Gerber range. Now I want one. Badly.

What was that about publicity? ;)

Last edited:
How many grills could Bear Grylls bear if Bear Grylls could bear grills?
I prefer
How many bears could Bear Grylls grill, if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

(Or is that plagiarism and are you sending the boys lawyers round?)
:D

Don't argue with 'the woman' :D

The lawyers wrote that the logo is "very similar" to their client's "Bear" mark and covers "identical and similar goods, namely knives and sheaths for knives".

Nah - they had a bear paw, Bear Grylls sells his knives through Gerber so they have the Gerber mark and orange BG lettering as the trademark.

I met Bear at the Wiltshire Scout meeting and presentation at Avebury the other year. Really nice bloke. Arrived by helicopter and I heard a few comments of 'flash git' but he made a speach, and in it explained the helicopter meant he could cut his journey time, so he had more time to be there. And he did, he stayed for ages, talking to everyone, ignoring the high ups and chatting to the boys, showing them techniques. Top bloke in my book.

Agree, he did similar last year at the Scouts Big Adventure weekend (I think it was called). on the Saturday was with loads of cubs and on the Sunday attended a record attempt in Liverpool for the longest 'Scout handshake' and most people playing a wobble board at the same time. He arrived by helicopter (he was going all over the northwest) spent as little time with the organisors as possible, basically while walking into the park the event was at, gave an encouraging speach then started the handshake attempt. He then made sure he went around and personally shook hands/high fived every scout there and there were more than 1500! Signed some scouts neckers, real insperation to the kids. They were buzzing from it for weeks. Top man in my book.

Agree, he did similar last year at the Scouts Big Adventure weekend (I think it was called). on the Saturday was with loads of cubs and on the Sunday attended a record attempt in Liverpool for the longest 'Scout handshake' and most people playing a wobble board at the same time. He arrived by helicopter (he was going all over the northwest) spent as little time with the organisors as possible, basically while walking into the park the event was at, gave an encouraging speach then started the handshake attempt. He then made sure he went around and personally shook hands/high fived every scout there and there were more than 1500! Signed some scouts neckers, real insperation to the kids. They were buzzing from it for weeks. Top man in my book.

Awesome story. I've never had a problem with the bloke - he seems like an all-round good guy to me. He didn't get made Chief Scout for no reason after all! The media were quite vicious in the way they jumped on him and wasn't called for in my opinion...

Back