Beautiful evening in the hills

Edit My Images
No
Today was sorely needed. I have longed for a day such as this since the rains came in November, one of those special days where the world seems so beautiful it is almost unbearable.

Me and a mate walked the round of mountains which enclose Marchlyn Mawr and we were treated to a sublime experience which us feel ecstatic to be alive. My photography from today can in no way convey the wonderful time we had but here's a couple of shots which might give you a rough idea!

Thanks for looking :)

Snowdonia land of dreams by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

The Eifionydd by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

On Elidir Fawr - The end of a perfect day by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Those are just lovely Nick

A great set Nick. No3 for me.

Many thanks all, it was one of those intensely beautiful experiences that leave you quite lost for words! I haven't had one like that for quite a while ;)

Lovely photos. I like the sense of scale in No. 1. If you don't mind me asking what camera/lens did you use?

Hey, I don't mind at all! These were taken with a Canon 6D with a 24-70 lens and LEE grads.

Stunning shots again.
Love the second one. Would look good on The wall I think.
Do you take your shots whilst hill walking? Or hill climbing?

All 3 are photos that anyone would have loved to have taken, and I can feel the cold just looking at them!

Lovely set and great compositions and conditions.

1. Given the timing nothing I'd change
2. I like the wide crop. I might suggest a slight shadow lift or exposure adjustment to lift it. Its just a tad dark in the bottom.
3. This is perfect.

A wonderful set, but no.3 is just stunning - snow, above the clouds, sun setting, beautiful!

Saw them on Flickr and what a set, either 1 or 3 for me, but the lighting is sublime.

If you don't mind me asking, regarding equipment do you use a particular day sack or just adapt one and what remote have you got?

Lovely Nick, really makes you feel good to view them, Really nice inversion in 2 & 3 like waves rolling over the mountain, Love the layers especially in #2.
My favourite is #3 on top of the world .... How good the air is up there!

No.2 is a cracker and must have been fantastic to be there and watch it develop in front of you. Not a big fan of a figure in the 1st and 3rd but understand the perspective point of view.

Great set and one of those days when you probably couldn't give a bugger about photography. Just great to be there. Lovely work Nick.

Beautiful ;)

Great stuff Nick, makes me want to revisit the mountains again.

Thanks again folks and here's another couple :)

If you don't mind me asking, regarding equipment do you use a particular day sack or just adapt one and what remote have you got?

Hi Chris, it depends on what I'm doing in the hills and the weather but on this day I used a 45ltr rucksack for my hill kit and a Manffroto holster which holds my camera and filters etc. I've tried alsorts in the past and this is the best set up for me. I've always found the dedicated photography sacks to be overpriced, flimsy, not big enough, uncomfortable and far too cumbersome for scrambling, rock climbing or even just hillwalking.

Great set and one of those days when you probably couldn't give a bugger about photography. Just great to be there. Lovely work Nick.

Cheers Mark, it's always a thrill when you comment on my work. In truth, I would have been miffed had I not had a camera with me but the experience itself was the most satisfying thing, it was just one of those rare days :)

Snowdon - Wreathed in Clouds by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Alone on the ridge by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Mountain Cloudscape - Snowdonia by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Hi Chris, it depends on what I'm doing in the hills and the weather but on this day I used a 45ltr rucksack for my hill kit and a Manffroto holster which holds my camera and filters etc. I've tried alsorts in the past and this is the best set up for me. I've always found the dedicated photography sacks to be overpriced, flimsy, not big enough, uncomfortable and far too cumbersome for scrambling, rock climbing or even just hillwalking.

Cheers Nick, I currently have a Lowpro Rover AW II, which isn't too bad, but for trips up in Snowdonia or any upland areas I tend to ditch it and use a Osprey Talon II (44ltr), but I noticed that Lowpro also do a Sport AW300, which is much more traditional daysack/bergan but with side openings for your DSLR and lens, which looks good, obviously overpriced, but would mean I could ditch separate bags. Having previously lost a DSLR to rain ingestion, I am still looking for the perfect setup.

Really like alone on the ridge. Conveys a great sense of scale. Brilliant work Nick

Back