Beginner Beautiful North Yorkshire

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
First outing with my new travel camera. Bought this Panasonic LX100 and i'm very impressed. I'm still not used to the controls to get the best out of it but up against a Nikon D3400 today, I think the little Panny produced better photos. I had a 43mm screw on ND8 for the silky water shots. To produce a similar result on the DSLR, I had a 105mm polariser and a little stopper fitted. Challenging conditions with strong winds (No1) and lots of water spray and weather fret, mainly at Hardraw Force (No2).
First up the Panny….
P1020051 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
P1020073 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
P1020084 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
P1020085 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited:
I agree with you the LX100 has produced the better shots, really like the B&W stone building, lovely moody sky.

The use of a polariser on the Nikon has produced (for my taste) better rendering of the wet rocks and of the leaves, by suppressing specular reflections. Did you use an ND grad for the barn shot? Or darken the sky in processing? The top of the gable end looks darker than the bottom. To generalise - things other than the camera used have had a big impact on these pictures.

The use of a polariser on the Nikon has produced (for my taste) better rendering of the wet rocks and of the leaves, by suppressing specular reflections. Did you use an ND grad for the barn shot? Or darken the sky in processing? The top of the gable end looks darker than the bottom. To generalise - things other than the camera used have had a big impact on these pictures.
I think I used a grad on the Nikon shot, not on the Panasonic.
Is this better?
DSC_0135 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

The Nikon shots need a bit more care in the taking and processing, not least because of the polariser and the effect it's had on the foreground in the first image. Nice shots from the panny although I definitely prefer the Nikon version of the flowing river.

The first set has much more accurate white balance. The second - well a fair bit out. Stacking of filters with ND may be the cause for it. Depending on filters you might still be able to re-adjusted but sometimes they just change the colours too much.

I actually prefer the more natural shorter exposure in shot 1 to its counterpart. The trees appear much sharper. I think there is no striking effect of water motion in the other shot to warrant a heavy ND. I like the waterfalls best between 0.3s to 2-3s exposure.

The Nikon shots need a bit more care in the taking and processing, not least because of the polariser and the effect it's had on the foreground in the first image. Nice shots from the panny although I definitely prefer the Nikon version of the flowing river.

Thanks Toni, can you explain what you mean by the effect of the polariser on the foreground? I rotated it to take the glare off the water. I was set at F10 and focus spot on the background so i'm wondering if that has softened the foreground somewhat?
Unfortunately, it was quite blustery down there so the trees were shaking around which caused the blur. Could I have taken a short exposure to freeze the trees and a LE to get the silky water, and blended them?
I've never tried this before so got a lot to learn.

Thanks Toni, can you explain what you mean by the effect of the polariser on the foreground? I rotated it to take the glare off the water.

The polariser has, as you say, taken the glare off the water and allowed the orange-brown bottom to show through, made slightly worse looking by the colour balance being slightly out as LLP said. In real life you wouldn't see the bottom from that angle, so much as the reflections which would hide the considerable orangeness. If it were my image I'd probably have rotated the polariser the other way to capture more reflection & less riverbed, making it look more like a flowing river and less like oxtail soup. ;)

For the image in post I'd probably dial back the warmth a touch and then use a brush or gradient on the riverbed to reduce the saturation, probably lift shadows there a bit too. This is a personal preference, but I tend to look for water to sparkle with reflected light or go creamy from movement, rather than trying to punch through.

You've done some nice water shots though, so don't be discouraged by a little crit.

You've done some nice water shots though, so don't be discouraged by a little crit.

Far from it. All crit appreciated. I'll give that a go and see how it looks. I'm not sure if the fact that its a linear polariser and not a circular one has anything to do with the softness of the foreground??

The polariser type should make no difference - it's not softness, but the colour and lack of sparkle.

Back