Beauty Dish - Male Portraits

Look fine to me, only I don't like the hard line in the light on the bg in 2

H

The only difference between a beauty dish and a softbox is the catchlights. They have very similar characteristics if they are positioned the same way and of the same size.

I prefer image 1. because of the model's expression. The black and white works well with his skin. Its a cool shot.

A cleaner backdrop would have helped 2...the slash of light coming from the top of his head is the brightest part of the image and is distracting. I would also say that the image is about half a stop over exposed, bring it down in ACR

Remember that when a light is directional, it shows texture on clothing and skin.. so get rid of the pot mark scar on the forehead and any other blemishes, it takes seconds and will make him appreciate the image more. The spot between his eyes will be gone is a week, so get rid of it.

Apart from that, they are pretty good images... but one is definitely the best for this guy, his hair is better, facial expression is great.. I would have had him expand on those expressions too.. keep up the good work dan

Thanks Helen, Scott.

Both "backdrops" were the same white wall - the second photo was taken by my fiancee and she didn't think anything of it when the light wasn't setup right. First one was a self portrait.

It's a mole between my eyes, maybe i should start wearing make up hah

The only difference between a beauty dish and a softbox is the catchlights. They have very similar characteristics if they are positioned the same way and of the same size.

Just no...this is wrong. :shake:

'soft'boxes produce a 'soft' light where shadows fall off gradually, its flattering for your average person who has wrinkles and skin imperfections as the shadow doesn't exaggerate these features.

A beauty dish on the other hand has a much harder, quicker fall off of shadows. Its not as flattering for your average person but works much better with pretty people with good jaw lines and naturally smooth skin.

Your images are decent, well exposed and composed. Personally I like more of a catch light, try bring the light a little lower/closer. It just adds a bit of life into portraits. (y)

I have 3 softboxes of various sizes and 2 beauty dishes a 44cm with grid & sock and 2 large 70cm with a sock silver and white... I use them regularly, and they have very similar characteristics... as I said... if they are the same size and positioned the same, there is very little difference in light fall off. If you use a large softbox and a small BD then you will see a significant difference... otherwise apart from the catchlight they are pretty similar...

A softbox does not = soft light.. Soft light is determined by the size of the light and its distance to the subject.. a small softbox like my lastolite ezbox is a hard light... A large softbox several feet away is a hard light.. a large softbox and large beauty dish close to the subject are soft sources..

so... just yes :)

I can't see these people properly because they're playing to the camera.
There's nothing to read, they're both wearing masks

They're ok, clean and nicely lit, but ultimately not that interesting to those that don't know them.

I can't see these people properly because they're playing to the camera.
There's nothing to read, they're both wearing masks

They're ok, clean and nicely lit, but ultimately not that interesting to those that don't know them.

Its the same person, me. Ultimately I'm still playing with my new beauty dish, so getting feedback on lighting is useful.

My first series was of my fiancee, she must have been a more interesting person it seems :)

Its the same person, me. Ultimately I'm still playing with my new beauty dish, so getting feedback on lighting is useful.

My first series was of my fiancee, she must have been a more interesting person it seems :)

Is it....lol

Haven't seen your fiancée photos.
I like portraits that capture something of what someone is thinking, or feeling.
We all have our own idea about what is important.

Back