Beauty Dish/Stripbox advice

magicaxeman

An Idiot
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at adding a beauty dish to my small home studio but i'm not sure of which size to go for 16 inch or 22 inch? I've ruled out folding dishes and the larger 27inch dish as its just to big for here and prefer the metal beauty dishes, I'm also thinking a grid would be a good idea to minimise light spill.

Also looking at adding a strip box while I have a few pennies left as they seem to be very versatile modifiers with a multitude of uses from main light to fill, hair light etc etc, I like the idea of the Rotalux but Elinchrom don't make a grid for it and I started thinking that using grids could be essential in a small studio area to minimise light spill? so that would leave the umbrella type from Lencarta as the most likely candidate as I cant do all that putting rods in.

Any thoughts or advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ps my lights are all Bowens S mount.

I’ve got one you might be interested in, put up a want ad if you’re interested, it’s a Bessel with a grid and a sock and in a drum bag.

You're damaging my brain, making me convert imperial to metric:)
My advice is to go for the 40cm one, the 70cm one is going to be much too big for your studio, it also weighs a ton.
I'm guessing that this is for use with the model shoot we talked about. Be aware that the height and position of the beauty dish is absolutely critical and you're going to drive the friend who moves your lights for you mad . . . Once it's set up correctly, just tell the model that as she moves her weight and position her head and eyes must always be constant and it will work fine.

With metal beauty dishes, there's Mola and the rest, with Mola being the best but very expensive. The Lencarta one is about the best of the rest https://www.lencarta.com/all-produc...hite-lencarta-bowens-fit-lencarta-40cm-mod022 but if Phil is selling his one at a good price . . .

As for the strip softbox, yes they are extremely useful, mainly for rimlighting where a honeycomb really is essential. You won't be able to beat the Lencarta one. Be aware though that when using it for rimlighting you will also need the combined low level stand, this puts it at the right height whilst keeping the softbox dead square. https://www.lencarta.com/all-produc...ombined-floor-low-level-stand-lencarta-sta013.

Again, if you want to discuss then please feel free to ring me, up to lunchtime today or anytime tomorrow. After that I'll be away on the farm for a week, no mobile signal there.

Thanks Phil, is it white or silver ?

Thanks again Garry, I'll bear that in mind about the stand as well as go for grids on both.

Thanks Phil can you message me with roughly what you want for it please.

Thanks for your kind offer of a chat Garry, sorry but I've been under the weather a bit this week.

Back