Becky

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

A shoot from a few weeks ago I did with a really nice young lady called Becky. In the second, I was going for a summery feel and shooting towards the sun, hence the hazy, bright (blown) sky. She was really happy, especially with the second one. I have quite a few from the session but these two were probably my favourites. Would really like to hear your thoughts.

***Edit now added to post 21 as suggested

1. Becky

Becky by GazMortonPhoto, on Flickr

2. Becky

Becky by GazMortonPhoto, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Gareth

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite like these but I would crop from the left in #2 a tad to remove the post as it looks like she is staring at it and therefore my eye goes to the post to try and find what she is looking for.

Hi Gareth,

I think you've lost her nose a little in #1, but #2 is beautiful.

Hi Gareth,

I think that Tom is totally correct about the 2nd image and the first one appears blown on my uncalibrated monitor.

Otherwise I think you have cracked the most important thing which is the models stance and attitude. This, in my opinion is the hardest thing to get right.

Best regards

Chris

I quite like these but I would crop from the left in #2 a tad to remove the post as it looks like she is staring at it and therefore my eye goes to the post to try and find what she is looking for.

Thank you, I will have a go without the end most post in.

Hi Gareth,

I think you've lost her nose a little in #1, but #2 is beautiful.

Thank you. It's actually not blown in lightroom, but I may look at taking it a little darker. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Hi Gareth,

I think that Tom is totally correct about the 2nd image and the first one appears blown on my uncalibrated monitor.

Otherwise I think you have cracked the most important thing which is the models stance and attitude. This, in my opinion is the hardest thing to get right.

Best regards

Chris

Thank you for taking the time. I'm just looking on my dads PC laptop and it looks blown here too, however, in lightroom it isn't blown, nor does it look it on the Mac. :thinking:

Doesn't look blown to me either.

Lovely tones, I forgot to add.

Sooo......still thinking of selling all that kit? :wacky:

If this is you being crap, I look forward to your good stuff :D :p

Her nose btw looks blown on the 800px shrunk version, but when I click to enlarge to the 1024 size, its fine for me on the mac. Yes, its pale but not blown and the whole image works well imo. Both certainly achieve what you aimed for, a summery feel... they are fresh, the model poses work and wouldn't mind seeing a few more from the session.
As already mentioned, a small crop on the 2nd one wouldn't do it any harm

(y)

Doesn't look blown to me either.

Lovely tones, I forgot to add.

Thank you. :)

Sooo......still thinking of selling all that kit? :wacky:

If this is you being crap, I look forward to your good stuff :D :p

Her nose btw looks blown on the 800px shrunk version, but when I click to enlarge to the 1024 size, its fine for me on the mac. Yes, its pale but not blown and the whole image works well imo. Both certainly achieve what you aimed for, a summery feel... they are fresh, the model poses work and wouldn't mind seeing a few more from the session.
As already mentioned, a small crop on the 2nd one wouldn't do it any harm

(y)

:LOL: Thanks Yv. This was my first shoot with the new(est) gear......(I have actually sold up twice but we won't go there). :bang: Determined to stick at it this time and hopefully get better.

She is quite pale skinned, but to be honest, that was one of the reasons I hired her. I liked her skin tone and red hair. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I never said it was blown. I said you'd lost it a little. ;)

Good stuff fella.

I like the first one. It's a great pose. I particularly like her left hand but not so keen on her right arm in the bg. There's no over exposure at all but it might be improved by dragging the exposure down by a third of a stop or so. Also her skin looks very warm - was it really that warm. I suspect it wasn't. Also I suspect there's a tiny green cast from the leaves - see the whites of her eyes for confirmation

I really like the second picture too. Wouldn't change it; although I can see what Tom is saying. Cropping out the far left post would probably improve it and create a stronger lead in line.

Good stuff :)

I never said it was blown. I said you'd lost it a little. ;)

Ah I see, apologies. :)

Good stuff fella.

I like the first one. It's a great pose. I particularly like her left hand but not so keen on her right arm in the bg. There's no over exposure at all but it might be improved by dragging the exposure down by a third of a stop or so. Also her skin looks very warm - was it really that warm. I suspect it wasn't. Also I suspect there's a tiny green cast from the leaves - see the whites of her eyes for confirmation

I really like the second picture too. Wouldn't change it; although I can see what Tom is saying. Cropping out the far left post would probably improve it and create a stronger lead in line.

Good stuff :)

Thanks for the comments Ryan. It was actually one of the hottest days we have had this year and they were shot between 6 and 8 pm, once the sun had began to set so the light was rather warm (as was the weather) but I maybe have dragged the WB to the right a little to give it a more summery feel. There was actually a little dappled light from the sun coming through the trees onto the left side of her face (as we view it) but I felt it distracted a little.

But keen to learn and improve now so really happy to hear people opinions and wot not. I'm not meaning to appear defensive by the way so hope the reply doesn't sound that way.

Doesn't come over defensive at all mate.

When you mentioned the dappled lighting I had a closer look at her right cheek - is that a brush stroke I see running from below her right nostril towards her right eye. I would try to blend it in a little if it is. And apologies if it's not :)

Doesn't come over defensive at all mate.

When you mentioned the dappled lighting I had a closer look at her right cheek - is that a brush stroke I see running from below her right nostril towards her right eye. I would try to blend it in a little if it is. And apologies if it's not :)

If you mean the lighter streak, nope, that is indeed the light. You can also see it on her chin and up by her eye (and a teeny bit on the forehead). :)

Would you get rid completely perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd try. But it looks tricky!!

With it being in a few places, including her back OOF arm, I think I will leave it. The light was indeed coming through the leaves and I'm not sure the lighter dappled bits detract enough to get rid of them all. :)

Love the 2nd one particularly. I really like the overall look / feel of the image.

I like number 2 as well. She is a great model, I was photographing her yesterday evening in the studio.

Hi Gareth,

Just looking on my calibrated monitor and it looks so much better. Very nice indeed.

Must stop commenting on photos when in the office!!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Gareth,

Just looking on my calibrated monitor and it looks so much better. Very nice indeed.

Must stop commenting on photos when in the office!!

Best regards

Chris

Thanks Chris. :)

A very good suggestion by Tom as it has improved the image a lot.

Best regards

Chris

Back