Bedford Autodrome Track day photography ... few questions

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Have been looking at MSV track day listings, and noticed that there is a track day at Bedford Autodrome this weekend.

Seeing as I haven't done any motorsport photography since Brands BTCC last Oct. I thought it was a good idea to get out to a track day and have a play around.

By no means am I a pro, or even up to media spec, just enjoy shooting photos from public viewing areas.

Have got a couple of questions about Bedford Autodrome, just wondered if people with previous experience could offer some advice.

Firstly, in general what is the track like in terms of viewing from public areas? Assuming of course public are allowed into track days for viewing?

Secondly, reading on website for details on track day, it says:

"PHOTOS: Access areas other than paddock is prohibited. A photograph company will be capturing on-track action with photos available for purchase."

Does this mean that there is limited viewing areas, and for that reason photography by public is limited to the paddock only? Are public allowed to take photos of the track action?

Just wondered if someone could clarify the above points. Have only just discovered that Bedford Autodrome is around an hour away, so thought that it might be handy to pop down for a few hours, one to see whats going on and whats on track, and 2 to shoot some photos.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

The only place you can spectate is from the paddock due to the the way Bedford is set-out. It's not a race circuit like Donington, Brands Hatch etc but a track built primarily for corporate events which has found to be great for trackdays too (read money-spinner).
You're very limited with what you can capture from there and it would be unsafe to stand right next to the wall to the far left, it's not unusual for neanderthal drivers to hit the paddock wall coming round the corner.

It is a great track if you're into driving though, it has everything bar elevation to test your mettle!

Also, in case you're interested in general in taking photos at trackdays, some race circuits have restricted access (Silverstone, Donington are two I know of) and all airfield circuits are off limits too.
In all cases the Trackday Organiser will have their own snapper plying their trade, they'll naturally be a bit reticent to have toggers on their turf.

Back