Bedroom shadows

Name
Emma
Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken just for fun for a photo assignment on shadows. With terrible weather and not much time for searching out suitable subjects I decided to try out an idea on bedroom shadows with my son this evening. This was well out of my comfort zone and he was wriggly and giggly which meant I didn't have much time to play about! I know nothing about b&w conversions, so don't know how successful this is on that front. I tried increasing the contrast, but ended up losing all detail in the bedclothes and ended up leaving it as it was shot. All feedback welcome as always!

night time shadows by Em Jay, on Flickr

I really like this, and love the creativeness to it (I would never think up something like this).
To bring back the detail you need to increase the shadows (I use LR) hope you don't mind but as you have edit images I've had a quick edit:
Emja (1 of 1) by Alan Cook, on Flickr

Thanks Alan - the shadows certainly look better in the edit - I appreciate your taking the time to do it.

I'm still a bit unsure whether I would want to keep the texture in the covers. I thought about a tighter crop but quite liked having the source of the shadow in the image, too. Maybe the shadow on its own your crop just looks a bit too scary over my little boy ;)

I notice his face isn't as in focus as I thought. I focussed on it with the light on, reframed, then switched the light off - does that sound right? He could have just been moving slightly - it was pretty hard for him to stay still!

Cool idea looks great well done. Could you not just pull the shadow down on the wall with a curves adjustment layer then paint in with the mask. As the shadow in the edit looks great.

Gaz

Cool idea looks great well done. Could you not just pull the shadow down on the wall with a curves adjustment layer then paint in with the mask. As the shadow in the edit looks great.

Gaz

Thank you Gary.

I'm hoping to get Lightroom soon, and then it will be a steep learning curve to find out how to do what you just suggested :eek: I'm looking forward to it!

Back