Bee-fly ....

drodd

Also loves to mass debate
Name
Dawn
Edit My Images
No
Hiya

I'm embarrassed to even post my photo here after all the fantastic shots I have seen of this little creature, but heyho I have to learn some how and if I don't post I won't get what I want to hear.

This is a very tight crop ...... I tried to get as close as I could using my 18-55 lens and flicked it into manual focus.

Considering I have a strong phobia of bees I got a bit too close for comfort .... all in the name of photography :D

Maybe one day I will be able to get even closer .... (and also closer to getting a macro lens which I think would help with this sort of photography).

Anyway, here is my attempt at a bee-fly:

5614066314_c47e1ea110_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_3637.CR2 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Any c&c would be great.

Cheers

Dawn :)

P.S. I wouldn't have known what this was unless Just Dave had told me what it was .... and after asking if it would sting me (answer NO) I took the chance :D

Last edited:
Lovely attempt. It looks a little 'bright' - could I suggest taking the mid tones down slightly to bring down the background. I like the detail in the legs.

Great start to your macro photography.

Jo

Lovely attempt. It looks a little 'bright' - could I suggest taking the mid tones down slightly to bring down the background. I like the detail in the legs.

Great start to your macro photography.

Jo

Hiya Jo,

Thank you, I was concerned that it may look a little bright as you said, still trying to find my feet regards the whole close up thing.

I was quite chuffed with the detail in the legs too ..... never realised they had such hairy legs :LOL: (but then I've never been this close to a bee before .....so that was something new for me :puke:)

Cheers

They don't bite or sting so get in there Dawn;) Nice capture!

Not a bad shot of it. The fur detail on the back is very nice too.

Its a fly, not a bee, and as said above, they are completely harmless so you have nothing to fear from them :)

Linda

Fabulous Dawn, wow you got in close with your kit lens, thats a great shot with loads of detail Id bee :D well chuffed with it, :clap: who needs a macro lens

Not a bad shot of it. The fur detail on the back is very nice too.

Its a fly, not a bee, and as said above, they are completely harmless so you have nothing to fear from them :)

Linda

Hiya Linda,

Thanks for the c&c and for the reassurance that it is harmless. There was a time I would run away from such an insect (because it looks like a bee to me), but since starting with photography I am getting much braver :D

I was quite surprised at how much detail I actually got, considering I was using the 18-55 kit lens non IS and in an awkward position to take the shot. So quite pleased with this.

Cheers

Fabulous Dawn, wow you got in close with your kit lens, thats a great shot with loads of detail Id bee :D well chuffed with it, :clap: who needs a macro lens

Hiya Dave

Thanks for the compliments .... as you know I had to get quite close to this little critter .... I'm well impressed with how the kit lens manages to take such close up shots. I did have to use manual focus though because the Autofocus wouldn't work from so close.

I'm hoping to get some more bug shots this weekend up at WRP.

Cheers

Well that's a great shot Dawn considering it was taken with the kit lens, good effort!

Well that's a great shot Dawn considering it was taken with the kit lens, good effort!

Hiya George,

Thank you kindly for your comment (y)

Cheers

Hi Dawn i like it just as it is, fine detail, nice and bright. (y)

It might not bite or sting but i bet it could give you a nasty suck that why i dont get to close :LOL:

Tony

Hi Dawn i like it just as it is, fine detail, nice and bright. (y)

It might not bite or sting but i bet it could give you a nasty suck that why i dont get to close :LOL:

Tony

Hiya Tony,

Thanks for the kind comments.

You have a point there about the 'nasty suck' ..... off to google about these little critters now before I attempt to take any more photos of them :eek:
:LOL:

Cheers

Hiya Linda,
I was quite surprised at how much detail I actually got, considering I was using the 18-55 kit lens non IS and in an awkward position to take the shot. So quite pleased with this.

Cheers

Hey, that kit lens isnt bad really - I still have the very original kit lens since 2005 and I can tell you that I have in the past got some nice pics with it. The more you use it and practice with it, you become more familiar with how to get the best from it until you get a dedicated macro lens.

Linda

Hey, that kit lens isnt bad really - I still have the very original kit lens since 2005 and I can tell you that I have in the past got some nice pics with it. The more you use it and practice with it, you become more familiar with how to get the best from it until you get a dedicated macro lens.

Linda

Hiya Linda

Agree with you 100% (y) I've taken some good close up shots with the lens and am starting to get to grips with the lens now using manual focus.

One day I might be able to afford a macro lens. Was thinking of buying some macro extension tubes .... :thinking:

For now though I will have to continue practicing with the kit lens. Although I have also recently tried some macro shots with the 70-300 (but a bit more tricky to do as one can't get too close to the subject).

Cheers

Back