Critique Been a while...

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I still haven't got around to building myself a new flash bracket after breaking my old one about 6 months ago, but I had to go and have a quick look round the garden this morning and see if there was anything interesting about. Out I went with my camera and flash (attached via a short cord) hoping I'd be able to hold focus one handed, while directing the light with the other hand. I had some success, but mainly where I could use the environment to help support the lens.

This Vine Weevil is actually a rescue. It had got itself caught up in a spiders web and was hanging off the roof of the shed. I couldn't see any spiders around, and it looked liked old web, so after an hour or so, I decided it was best to help cut it free. It took me ages to disentangle it's legs and antenna, it really did seem like steel that could slice through the beetle if I wasn't careful. A cocktail stick helped to sort it all out though. I was rewarded by it posing a short while for me before I took it in a nearby hedge to recover.

Vine Weevil by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

The side of my other shed was being explored by this Running Crab Spider. It dropped on a thread slightly when I disturbed it, but that enabled me to get this shot, shooting straight up towards it. It made me jump when it dropped further towards me! You have to remember, they look really big when you are looking at them through live view...

Running Crab Spider by Tim Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:

Very cool the texture on the insect, looks 3D, Tim!

Welcome back Tim, That weevil looks very cool and the lighting looks really good on both shots.
Look forward to seeing more from you soon :)

Great weevil shot Tim, good comp', some very fine detail, and spot on exposure.(y)

George.

Very cool the texture on the insect, looks 3D, Tim!

Thanks Daniel! I guess the lighting and shallow DoF help with that effect. Forgot to say it's a short 2 shot stack to help with the DoF.

Good to see you posting here again Tim. Good to hear the story of the weevil. Nice image of it too, especially given the awkwardness of using the rig (if that was the MPE then that's a lot of weight to be one-handed with).
Cheers Nick, good to be back ;) Yeah the MP-E is heavy, but thankfully I'm only using a small camera body, so can just about manage it.

Welcome back Tim, That weevil looks very cool and the lighting looks really good on both shots.
Look forward to seeing more from you soon :)
Thanks Graham. It's not the best diffuser, but convenient and good enough for most shots. i intend to focus on macro videography this year, so I'll have to rethink all my lighting solutions!

Nice shots Tim (y) Spider story made me laugh, though I have not been that unfortunate to have one above me
You know if you aren't in any danger of a spider jumping on your face, you aren't doing it right ;)

Great work mate
Thanks fella!

Good start Tim. I'm sure the weevil appreciated the rescue as much as your neighbours plants.... ;)
Cheers Paul. The neighbour who shares that particular hedge is a Buddhist; so I doubt we'll fall out over it ;)

Great weevil shot Tim, good comp', some very fine detail, and spot on exposure.(y)
Thanks George, much appreciated.

Lovely images and lighting Tim. Can imaging how difficult hand holding the camera and the flash would be.
Thanks Chris. Yeah it's not ideal. I did drop the flash and diffuser into the water butt at one point, but fortunately I was able to quickly hoist it back out with the flash cord before it got to splash down. It was a close one though!

loving the Ist shot... almost looks like something out of star wars
Thanks! I see what you mean. A bit like a Dewback I reckon. Would be ace if you could ride on of these guys :p

Both very good shots as expected Tim

Back