Been a while

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Been a while since I did much photography at all. Trying to get my mojo back.

This is the first time I've ever processed a shot fully in Photoshop, prior to this, all my shots have been processed using ACDSee Pro. Trying to ween myself off that and onto Photoshop. Also been experimenting with new lighting styles for me and quite liked the way this came out (although I'm sure it will be picked to bits lol).

Any and all feedback massively appreciated, good or bad. It's the only way to learn.

Nikon D7100, Nikon 17-55 F2.8 lens, ISO 100, F11, 1/250, 55mm focal length.

Amy
by Ian, on Flickr

Lighting set up was a 70x30 softbox fairly close up to Amys right (frame left), a high snoot up behind her to her left (frame right) and a 120cm octobox over my shoulder on low to soften and give fill.

Not very good with these diagrams but something like this.

lightingsetup.jpg

Last edited:
For me the side lighting is much too strong and is doing your lovely model no favours, the highlights camera right being too bright.

The picture, in my opinion, is also either over-sharpened or simply too sharp for your subject.

Looking forward to some more of your images, I hope I haven't been too harsh!

I also quite like the lighting, I think the kicker works well and the key and fill create quite pleasing light. The pose is a bit static almost 80's looking it's just look at that light and freeze, There's a lot of tension in the hand and no expression, if you'd got her locked in here then kept shooting while yopu talked to try and get more of a reaction it would have made a stronger portrait imo.

I'm not a fan of the processing, it's way oversharpened especially when you zoom in on flickr the skin texture is really crunchy. Personally I don't like the catchlight from the octa which is entirely in her pupil, I'd have cloned that out. Her lipstick is bit scruffy as well, if this wasn't noticed to fix before the shot I'd tidy it up in post. The hand and jumper could also do with burning down a bit as they are quite bright in the shot. If you have piercings without jewlery in it usually looks better to clone out the holes in your retouch as well.

If there's parts of photoshop you're struggling with ask here, I'd look at your sharpening process first, the good thing about photoshop is the ability to mask out areas selectively to get a better overall look. I'm a big fan of the surface blur technique modified from calvin hollywoods technique, theres a good tutorial on it here.

If you wanted to send or post an unedited version of the pic there's usually plenty people, myself included, who will edit and share the psd so you can see how others approach it.

Last edited:
I definitely like it, but the combination of side lighting & over-sharpening has emphasised every bump on her skin. The central catchlights & lipstick don't really bother me.

I'm still making it up as I go along so take all this with a pinch of salt but there's a couple of things I would have done differently..
  • I find poses where the subject stares out of the frame really tricky. It's easy to drive the viewer's attention out of the frame as their eye follows the gaze of the model to see what they're looking at. They seem to work better if you ask the subject not to focus on anything. Alternatively, direct their gaze to a point within the frame. Sometimes looking up or down slightly helps.
  • I'd have shot from a little lower. You're looking down on the model.
  • I'd have asked her to uncurl the fingers and tried to find an angle where the side of the hand was presented to the camera; that usually makes hands appear more elegant.
.. but that's all being rather picky. Sharpening aside, it's a fine portrait.

Thanks guys, some very useful tips :)

I've always been a bit guilty of oversharpening and had dialed it back quite a lot but now playing with a new processing tool I've obviously slipped back into my old ways and need to rein myself back in.

The catch-lights from the octa in the centre of her eyes annoy me but I've just been too lazy to go back and clone them out. Must admit I didn't notice the lipstick which is unusual for me, but was so engrossed trying to learn new stuff at the time I guess.

The "model" is my wife Amy who sits for me quite a lot when I feel like a practice, these generally are relaxed, fun "let's see what we come out with" type of shoots that we have a laugh doing, so no career riding on them or anything but am always wanting to pick up new tips, ideas and learn where I'm going wrong still so thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated :)

Back