Been away for a while, couple of questions

Name
Spike
Edit My Images
Yes
Must be getting on 4 years since I picked up the camera what with one thing and another, specially work, so changed jobs to get my life back, soooooo.
I am going to get started again.

Trouble is I now have a new pc which is running windows 10 and my old discs for photoshop and light room do not work, tried looking online and it is now all pay monthly. but it is a little confusing as to which package.

All I want to do is go out take photos come home upload them onto pc edit them. mainly just what lightroom does (or used to) as I was never really any good with photoshop, but it seems all is into one p[ackage now or what ever with mobiles tablets etc.

Can someone please help me as to what is the best package for my usage.

Thank you

Which version of LR do you have? If version 6 and not an upgrade version i.e. a full license one IMO it should be possible to install it in compatibility mode under W10.

However, bear in mind that should you get a newer camera than the Canon 7D in your profile and shoot raw you will more than likely find LR Camera Raw does not support that camera???

FWIW I have W10 and old LR from my W2k days. Also, Photoshop 6 as I like to sometimes make the final adjustments in it. But now my primary PP program is DxO Photolab 5, which I switched to because it's noise handling is in a class of it's own:)

Thanks Box brownie, I have no idea of the version i have all i know is it would not load up onto my new pc

All I want to do is go out take photos come home upload them onto pc edit them. mainly just what lightroom does (or used to) as I was never really any good with photoshop, but it seems all is into one p[ackage now or what ever with mobiles tablets etc.
One way around your problem is to install an old copy of Windows in a virtual machine, running on your new Windows 10.

Some copies of Windows 10 have the virtual machine built in; look here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-create-virtual-machine-windows-10-4770680

If you have a version of Windows 10 without a built in virtual machine, you can use the free Oracle VM Virtualbox, which I find is quite reliable: https://www.oracle.com/virtualization/virtualbox/

If you still have the Windows installation disks from your old machine, all you need do is install and/or activate the virtual manager and install the old system in your virtual machine. Then install your editing software and away you go. If you haven't got the old Windows installation disks, you'll have to beg, borrow or (for preference not) steal some.

You should find that it's easy to store your pictures in Windows 10 but manipulate them from your virtual machine.

By the way, Windows 10 has various image manipulation programmes built in, the default for photos being called, believe it or not, "Photos". You might want to check that out before doing anything else.

Last edited:
I can't help with the technical questions but just wanted to say, welcome back! :D

Good luck with getting started again.

One way around your problem is to install an old copy of Windows in a virtual machine, running on your new Windows 10.

Some copies of Windows 10 have the virtual machine built in; look here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-create-virtual-machine-windows-10-4770680

If you have a version of Windows 10 without a built in virtual machine, you can use the free Oracle VM Virtualbox, which I find is quite reliable: https://www.oracle.com/virtualization/virtualbox/

If you still have the Windows installation disks from your old machine, all you need do is install and/or activate the virtual manager and install the old system in your virtual machine. Then install your editing software and away you go. If you haven't got the old Windows installation disks, you'll have to beg, borrow or (for preference not) steal some.

You should find that it's easy to store your pictures in Windows 10 but manipulate them from your virtual machine.

By the way, Windows 10 has various image manipulation programmes built in, the default for photos being called, believe it or not, "Photos". You might want to check that out before doing anything else.
Wow thank you for that I have a couple of hours free today so will check all that out, that would save me a quid as the light room I had worked well for me and did what I wanted it to for the standard that I am at.

Thanks again

I will let you know how I got on

Wow thank you for that I have a couple of hours free today so will check all that out, that would save me a quid as the light room I had worked well for me and did what I wanted it to for the standard that I am at.

Thanks again

I will let you know how I got on

By the way, Windows 10 has various image manipulation programmes built in, the default for photos being called, believe it or not, "Photos". You might want to check that out before doing anything else
Well I tried and I got everything loaded up but not happy with it at all, the windows 7 does not sit right on my new monitor no mater what resolution i use etc etc. thanks very much for all your info and help but I think I will just buy something like DXo photo lab as that is a one off payment and a lot cheaper than lightroom on a monthly

Which version of LR do you have? If version 6 and not an upgrade version i.e. a full license one IMO it should be possible to install it in compatibility mode under W10.

However, bear in mind that should you get a newer camera than the Canon 7D in your profile and shoot raw you will more than likely find LR Camera Raw does not support that camera???

FWIW I have W10 and old LR from my W2k days. Also, Photoshop 6 as I like to sometimes make the final adjustments in it. But now my primary PP program is DxO Photolab 5, which I switched to because it's noise handling is in a class of it's own:)
Hi
You say you have DxO photolab 5, which one do you have the essential or the elite versions, the elite might be a step too far for me at this present moment in time. can always upgrade if I feel the need.

Found a 30 day free trial so going to give it a go

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
You say you have DxO photolab 5, which one do you have the essential or the elite versions, the elite might be a step too far for me at this present moment in time. can always upgrade if I feel the need.

Found a 30 day free trial so going to give it a go

Thanks
I started, as I think I recall with PL 3 and progressively updated to PL5. It is the Elite version.

FWIW I am still learning how to get the most out of it......I have always been one who takes a light touch post processing so the more nuanced tools only get used if/as needed. NB noise reduction has been a key important tool since selling my Canon gear in favour of Olympus kit ;)

I started, as I think I recall with PL 3 and progressively updated to PL5. It is the Elite version.

FWIW I am still learning how to get the most out of it......I have always been one who takes a light touch post processing so the more nuanced tools only get used if/as needed. NB noise reduction has been a key important tool since selling my Canon gear in favour of Olympus kit ;)
I down loaded the 30 day free tial of the elite version and it looks a great piece of kit, just had a fiddle with it will old Jpegs but I need to get the camera out and get some raw shots in there and see what I can do.

Thanks for the input

Back