Been done to death I know!!!

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
O.K. financially we are about ready to get ourselves a 5D - which is now more than "2 years old"...

Do we wait for the 6D or whatever it will be called and battle with teething problems (actual and/or imagined) or do we simply get on with it and get the 5D for the great camera it is...:thinking::shrug:

I might be tempted to wait a few weeks to see if there's any official word on a replacement, see what the pricing is like and if the new features are worth it and in your price range. If they aren't pick up a 5D dirt cheap when everyone starts shifting their old stock (y)

I think the question should be more like what doesn't the 5D have we could really use?
If there's an obvious drawback, then just wait another month or two, then you might be able to get it cheaper, perhaps a second-hand one in mint condition too.

I might be tempted to wait a few weeks to see if there's any official word on a replacement, see what the pricing is like and if the new features are worth it and in your price range. If they aren't pick up a 5D dirt cheap when everyone starts shifting their old stock (y)

That sounds about right - thanks m8!

I am a bit wary of the upgrade given the recent hoo-ha around the new 1D models...

5D has proven itself hasn't it, and as you say, dog cheap once the new one comes in...

Well that said I seriously doubt whether it would drop below 20 grand for the body only.

The body with 24-105 came down from about 37k to just on 30k in a matter of about a year:nuts::naughty:

I'm feeling quite tempted to pick up a new 5D if the price is right in a month or so as well. I don't need one but fancy having a play around with full frame and the UWA it offers (y)

The PMA event is due the end of January in Las Vegas. If Canon were going to announce something soon they may wait until then.

A 2 year old model has one advantage, the bugs would have been sorted out. I waited 9 months before I got mine due to the concern over dust in the viewfinder system.

The PMA event is due the end of January in Las Vegas. If Canon were going to announce something soon they may wait until then.

A 2 year old model has one advantage, the bugs would have been sorted out. I waited 9 months before I got mine due to the concern over dust in the viewfinder system.

Makes a huge lot of sense to me, especially with all the mkiii issues being moaned about.

Kind of in exactly the same place Anton, especially with my 30d a little shot right now. Hopefully we will see an offical release soon, even one of the mags mentioned it was ripe for an upgrade. I think I'll hang on until the end of January and see what happens....

Shall we keep hunting and inform one another as soon as anything newsworthy pops up?(y)

Once the successor to the 5D is announced there may be good deals to be had on the outgoing one. There may be a lot of people waiting to see what discounts, and stocks may go quite quickly.

If you can get one now, there is the £ 135 cashback offer which expires on 31.12.07.

Will the end-of-line discounts beat the £ 135 discount currently available?

I'd also imagine that following the 1D Mk III focus issue, Canon would be extra cautious this time round - but would the issue affect a slower FPS camera such as the 5D?

No matter when you buy it, it will be cheaper in a couple of months (no matter what model) I'd say if you have the cash and the need then go buy one, you won't be disappointed with it.

No matter when you buy it, it will be cheaper in a couple of months (no matter what model) I'd say if you have the cash and the need then go buy one, you won't be disappointed with it.

Definitely, I'm still using my 20D and it's a great bit of kit despite now being two generations old.

Just think.....when the replacement for the 5 finally arrives, you'll have lost all that time.....and then you'll read about firmware bugs and resolve your self to waiting for the next generation.

:D

That sounds about right - thanks m8!

I am a bit wary of the upgrade given the recent hoo-ha around the new 1D models...

5D has proven itself hasn't it, and as you say, dog cheap once the new one comes in...

Well that said I seriously doubt whether it would drop below 20 grand for the body only.

The body with 24-105 came down from about 37k to just on 30k in a matter of about a year:nuts::naughty:

Is this full of typo's or are you really talking about close to £40k cameras??

37K ???

Definitely, I'm still using my 20D and it's a great bit of kit despite now being two generations old.

What exactly do you mean 2 generations old?:bat:

MY 20D is brand new and I will never part with it for ANYTHING ELSE!!:bonk::bonk::bonk:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Is this full of typo's or are you really talking about close to £40k cameras??

37K ???

YEP!! No Typos, only good old S.A. with nice weather and 13-14 ZA Rands to one pound. Roughly ten to 1 Euro!:bang::bonk::LOL:

You do the math!:LOL:

I'd go to South Africa just so I could say I've spent 40k on a camera! :LOL:

i wish i had 40k to spend on a camera lol. the most money ive had in my pocket since october is 2 quid. i cant even afford a rocket let alone different lenses, or even photo magazines they cot 5 quid :confused:
lol. im just jealus :)

i wish i had 40k to spend on a camera lol. the most money ive had in my pocket since october is 2 quid. i cant even afford a rocket let alone different lenses, or even photo magazines they cot 5 quid :confused:
lol. im just jealus :)

I made a booboo with the exchange rate!!! It's 40k in South Africa, which is not the same as £40K...

I made a booboo with the exchange rate!!! It's 40k in South Africa, which is not the same as £40K...

:D With £40K in S.A. I could do some serious camera shopping:LOL::woot:(y)

I might even have enough change to buy a small country somewhere...

Back