Been thinking of adding an X100 to my little collection

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have twice been hovering over the check out, on a pre owned camera site. This was after adding a few bits as trade in, against a Fuji X100. Not feeling the love, doing photos with my current stuff. I was just thinking, would I enjoy taking an X100 out, and would I find it fun to use, or would I find it a little limiting? I generally use my G7X as my main walk about camera, but it just does not feel like using a camera.

The original X100 has a lovely image Quality, but in today's terms it is very slow, both in AF and writing images to the card. If what you are taking images of isn't moving and you are stationary, it will be fine, and reward you with some lovely images.

Each later model got faster.

I shoot a lot with an X100 series camera, I love it, don't find it limiting at all, now and again I take my original X100 out, and whilst I enjoy the process and the output it is very pedestrian.

The original X100 has a lovely image Quality, but in today's terms it is very slow, both in AF and writing images to the card. If what you are taking images of isn't moving and you are stationary, it will be fine, and reward you with some lovely images.

Each later model got faster.

I shoot a lot with an X100 series camera, I love it, don't find it limiting at all, now and again I take my original X100 out, and whilst I enjoy the process and the output it is very pedestrian.

:plus1: Nail on the head. To add, its a lot of beautifully made camera for +-200-250.

I absolutely love my V. It's reignited the original love of photography that I had and lost using other kit that was larger, heavier and supposedly better. I don't feel any less of a photographer when I'm not lugging a huge ILC kit about and using what is essentially a posh compact.

The fixed lens isn't an inconvenience at all you just learn to use it and get used to the angle of view you have. It may be a cliche but it does improve your photography using the one lens all/most of the time. It's also a fantastic experience not lugging 20kg of backpack around to. I have the F too and love it, but not as much as the V.

It may not be for everyone but it can't hurt trying it out, get a bargain and you'd get the money back if you don't enjoy the experience. I don't even use mine for street, mine are used as you'd use a full size camera and lens for landscapes etc.. Image quality is as the xt2/3/4 with the f & V just with a fixed lens.

I'd be more than happy to get rid of all of my other kit and just be left with the V. For me it gives me the same buzz I used to have using my xpro1 and 35mm but in a more modern and smaller package.

I have had a X100T and F, but in the end I found the fixed lens too restrictive, and didn't really like the WC and TC's. As I have a load of other Fuji lenses the logical thing for me was to buy an X-Pro 2 (and following that I also bought an X-Pro 1 and X-E1 as I love the original X-Trans sensor).

As above, the early models are fairly slow to use and the AF in anything other than single shot is pretty poor by today's standards, but if the size and fixed lens is for you, then you will enjoy the experience I have no doubt.

I went down a similar route , I had a Fuji 27mm which saw very little use, so I bought an XE-2 thinking that with the 27 would be an ideal walkabout kit.
While it was OK I found the fixed focal length a bit inhibiting, however it might come into its own when we can get out a bit more on spec as it were .

I have been looking at the first X100, as I don't want to spend a lot on camera stuff so soon. Although if I could stretch to an X100s, I would do so. I know the early X100 has a Bayer sensor, and not sure if I could tell the difference anyway. My only experience of fuji files, is from my old X10 and I did like them, if they are as good I would be happy.

Ok, I am going to try and add some of my camera gear, and see if I can get hold of one. :)

Lots still using the original, nice images and a fuji icon. ( can't comment on 100 vs s not owned either)

Slower isn't a bad thing for lots of photography. The faster stuff on my V is never really used, even the faster tracking isn't really used much except on my dog!
Just love plodding around twiddling dials and pointing it at stuff(y)

A couple of years ago I decided to take an X100F as my only camera (with WCL) on a month-long trip to Australia via Hong Kong. It was refreshingly liberating and the benefits of weight saving and consideration of composition outweighed the limitations of focal length.

The X100 series is one of the photography specials that don’t come along that often. I love my V it’s very accomplished in performance and IQ
I still own the original!

This one looks in lovely condition, not sure how old the ad is but I think it's still current

I had an original X100 which I loved - it was such a joy to use, but then fate intervened and I had the opportunity to exchange for a X100S - I wish I'd never bothered as couldn't get on with editing the X Tran Sensor files for some reason, so I sold it on. I've too been thinking of getting another orignal X100 - might have to bite the bullet!

I still have an original X100. I’ve had the F and at times covet the V. But then I use my old clunker and always love what it produces.
Something special about them.
(As long as your subject is not moving)

I had an original X100 which I loved - it was such a joy to use, but then fate intervened and I had the opportunity to exchange for a X100S - I wish I'd never bothered as couldn't get on with editing the X Tran Sensor files for some reason, so I sold it on. I've too been thinking of getting another orignal X100 - might have to bite the bullet!

Do it Dave..

I bought my wife an X100s for our trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. I couldn;t have asked for a better camera to introduce someone to street photography with. Due to it's size you're able to get much more candid shots and it's less 'offensive' than a full frame with 2.8 glass on the front!

I have loaded my lenses and a camera on the pre owned site, against an X100. I know they have to make money, but it is not worth trading my items in, I may as well keep them as they are worth more to me. I will just have to buy one without PX.

I absolutely love my V. It's reignited the original love of photography that I had and lost using other kit that was larger, heavier and supposedly better. I don't feel any less of a photographer when I'm not lugging a huge ILC kit about and using what is essentially a posh compact.

The fixed lens isn't an inconvenience at all you just learn to use it and get used to the angle of view you have. It may be a cliche but it does improve your photography using the one lens all/most of the time. It's also a fantastic experience not lugging 20kg of backpack around to. I have the F too and love it, but not as much as the V.

It may not be for everyone but it can't hurt trying it out, get a bargain and you'd get the money back if you don't enjoy the experience. I don't even use mine for street, mine are used as you'd use a full size camera and lens for landscapes etc.. Image quality is as the xt2/3/4 with the f & V just with a fixed lens.

I'd be more than happy to get rid of all of my other kit and just be left with the V. For me it gives me the same buzz I used to have using my xpro1 and 35mm but in a more modern and smaller package.

Hello jonbeeza, I hope you dont mind if I jump onto your thread.. Hello bumper may i ask if you have a typical X100V landscape image of yours to show us but also the same image but using your WC/TC adapters, ie three similar images, thanks for your help, hope im not asking too much. I have looked at 100V images on flickr but they do not seem to indicate if WC/TC were used.
Regards. Paul

Last edited:
Hello jonbeeza, I hope you dont mind if I jump onto your thread.. Hello bumper may i ask if you have a typical X100V landscape image of yours to show us but also the same image but using your WC/TC adapters, ie three similar images, thanks for your help, hope im not asking too much. I have looked at 100V images on flickr but they do not seem to indicate if WC/TC were used.
Regards. Paul
I've never taken an image then added the wc and tc to shoot the same landscape.

If you google it there's plenty of reviews showing the varying shots using the adapters. That's how I checked them out.

plenty in the fuji thread too.

edit; check the mm in exif on flickr

Last edited:
Regards. Paul

Should be in the exif

19mm WCL
23mm bare lens
35mm TCL

@Paulco I'm out tomorrow with the xt4 but may be out on saturday with the V. If I do venture out with it I'll try to get 3 shots without+wcl+tcl

I have twice been hovering over the check out, on a pre owned camera site. This was after adding a few bits as trade in, against a Fuji X100. Not feeling the love, doing photos with my current stuff. I was just thinking, would I enjoy taking an X100 out, and would I find it fun to use, or would I find it a little limiting? I generally use my G7X as my main walk about camera, but it just does not feel like using a camera.

A nice one here, but at a price!

A nice one here, but at a price!

Way over priced, o_O not looking at paying that sort of money. Having a trawl now.

Way over priced, o_O not looking at paying that sort of money. Having a trawl now.
Did you get one in the end?

I’ve just bought an X100S from eBay. Really good condition (hardly used, strap and accessories still in plastic bags(!), 4 bats, filter holder UV filter and hood) for £300 inc. delivery. The charger was faulty (probably why it came with 4 batteries) but I bought a new one for £8 and all works a treat.

Took it for a spin today and really happy with it. Pleasantly surprised with the high ISO performance - accidentally had it on 3200 for the whole time (do’h). It was really fun compared to using my big D610. I

Did you get one in the end?

I’ve just bought an X100S from eBay. Really good condition (hardly used, strap and accessories still in plastic bags(!), 4 bats, filter holder UV filter and hood) for £300 inc. delivery. The charger was faulty (probably why it came with 4 batteries) but I bought a new one for £8 and all works a treat.

Took it for a spin today and really happy with it. Pleasantly surprised with the high ISO performance - accidentally had it on 3200 for the whole time (do’h). It was really fun compared to using my big D610. I

I have been bidding on a few, but they ended up going for silly prices. I sort of lost interest, then I started looking on other used sites, but again prices were silly.
I was reading others posts on the X100 and some uses of the camera loved it, while others just could not get along with it.

So I sort of lost interest again.

Most of the ones I watched went for around £350-400. The big difference between the X100 and the rest are that the S T F and V all have the Fuji X-trans sensors, whereas the original doesn't. It's weird using such a small camera if you're used to a bigger DSLR, and it's also probably more complicated than you're used to if you've just been shooting entry-level compacts. It's also quite fiddly as it's so small, but I bought it for its size so I can't complain about it. One thing I can say is that it's got great image quality. Everything else is just a case of getting used to.

This was a test shot from my first outing. I messed up and had it on ISO3200 but very little noticeable noise
Venford Oak Leaves by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Back