Beginner Been volunteered to do the photos for the PTA Santa’s grotto...

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
... The question is, 5x4 or RB67?

And you all thought this was going to be one of the existential "can I manage this fraught task" one might expect in the other parts of the forum.

Definitely the 5x4 complete with exploding flash and you in top hat, cape and twirly moustache.

RB67.........................................................................and digi camera :exit:

The 4x5 is a nice idea. Especially if you could do Polaroids with it. It would be a good talking point and the magic of instant pictures would probably appeal to the kids.

The 4x5 is a nice idea. Especially if you could do Polaroids with it. It would be a good talking point and the magic of instant pictures would probably appeal to the kids.

In all seriousness if I thought I could shoot the 45 quickly enough to churn through the queue of kids instants would be fantastic, my kids love the little instax prints. I suspect no one involved on the other side of the camera has the patience for film of any sort which is kind of a shame so I suspect I'll just be production line the D3100 with a flash bounced off the roof.

How does Polaroid film work with 4x5? Is it like a MF camera where you load a pack of film or is it individual sheets? I'd have thought that if it was pack film and the camera could be set up with the same exposure settings with flash and the distance pre focused then it could be a used fairly quickly? Provided you had an optical viewfinder so that you don't need to remove the Polaroid back. It would be (sort of) point and shoot.

How does Polaroid film work with 4x5? Is it like a MF camera where you load a pack of film or is it individual sheets? I'd have thought that if it was pack film and the camera could be set up with the same exposure settings with flash and the distance pre focused then it could be a used fairly quickly? Provided you had an optical viewfinder so that you don't need to remove the Polaroid back. It would be (sort of) point and shoot.
There were several types, including one which provided a negative as well as a print. The problem was that you had to have a bucket of chemical developer with you to do the neg process, so not the quickest of processes. I only ever tried the b&w print film and found it disappointing and expensive, but that was almost certainly my fault. Temperature was critical on all colour Polaroid film I believe, so that was a variable that had to be controlled as well.

There were several types, including one which provided a negative as well as a print. The problem was that you had to have a bucket of chemical developer with you to do the neg process, so not the quickest of processes. I only ever tried the b&w print film and found it disappointing and expensive, but that was almost certainly my fault. Temperature was critical on all colour Polaroid film I believe, so that was a variable that had to be controlled as well.

Is he not talking about standard peel apart Polaroid?

With those, the backs have darkslides so you could remove them between shots and recompose with a ground glass. The main problem is that FP100C is discontinued now so expensive.

Is he not talking about standard peel apart Polaroid?

With those, the backs have darkslides so you could remove them between shots and recompose with a ground glass. The main problem is that FP100C is discontinued now so expensive.

Sorry, I was referring to the Type 55 which gave poth a positive and a negative. It still fitted into a darkslide and was peel apart, and I see someone in the good ol USA is still trying to sell a year 2000 pack on the auction site!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polaroid...03-/302312125063?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

There is some New55 http://www.new55.net I'd love to give it a try but it's not cheap though.

If you do decide to give it a try, I'm sure there are bound to be people with an old 545 film holder that they no longer need and is just sitting in a cupboard and would be happy to donate it to someone who was investing in the film. ;)

Last edited:
If you do decide to give it a try, I'm sure there are bound to be people with an old 545 film holder that they no longer need and is just sitting in a cupboard and would be happy to donate it to someone who was investing in the film. ;)
I already have the holder and I will get round to trying it one of these days, my reference to the price was more aimed at the OP if he's looking at shooting hundreds of tiny people sitting on Santa's knee it could work out a little pricey.

See also the afghan box camera, might actually try and make one one of these days. I reckon it would be a fun project on the high street during the Edinburgh Festival.

Ha, I got a name for them now. On some of the photos I pointed out before .... there seems to be a 6x9 camera stuck at the front of the box [or others I did not link to] where I guess paper replaced the film. So all you need is a camera, a dark-box with the back opening to see what you are photographing, two trays of chemicals and a bucket with water to wash the final print :)

Ha, I got a name for them now. On some of the photos I pointed out before .... there seems to be a 6x9 camera stuck at the front of the box [or others I did not link to] where I guess paper replaced the film. So all you need is a camera, a dark-box with the back opening to see what you are photographing, two trays of chemicals and a bucket with water to wash the final print :)

Those look much more sophisticated than the afghan ones. I reckon were I doing the same I'd probably try a single bath dev/fix. Be tempted to use direct positive paper but I think that would be cheating. And I'd get to keep the negatives.

Back