Beep code ?

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of a odd one i think .

When I've finished I turn my computer off at night and also turn the power of at the wall socket .
every morning when I switch the wall socket back on before I turn the computer on it Beeps .

The beeps vary, today was around 25 fast and 2 slow sometimes it's 19 fast and 5 slow or 26 and 4 slow

The colder it is ( office not heated over night ) seems to give more beeps No beeps when I press the power on button on the computer and it starts and runs fine

It is a new computer i9 ssds 64gb ram 6gb card .

any ideas please.

Rob.

If it's what I think, it's the power on self test (POST) that the computer uses before booting up the Operating System (Windows?)

If you look up "BIOS Beep codes" for your computer you can investigate what it's beeping about.

The beep pattern varying and of such length does not IMO match any diagnostic sequence........ possibly inferring more than one issue?

Thanks, well it's a bit of a mine field looking at the links and some things way beyond me .
As its about 3 months old I will make a note of the beeps over the next few days and get in touch with the maker Chilliblast and see what they say rather than touch it myself and mess the warranty up
Thanks again

Rob.

Variants on "It's ****ing freezing in here, Rob!" ?
that's a point I will leave the heating on tonight and see what happens in the morning .

I just turned the computer off and the wall switch for 5 mins and when i put the wall switch on it beeped just once .

Rob.

that's a point I will leave the heating on tonight and see what happens in the morning .

I just turned the computer off and the wall switch for 5 mins and when i put the wall switch on it beeped just once .

Rob.

One beep is normal I think.

Rob

Can I clarify what you are saying?

You shutdown the PC at night and then turn off the power at the wall?

In the morning you then turn on the power at the wall and the PC beeps before you even press the PC's own power button?

If that is the 'right reading', something IMO is not right ~ for the record:-
My PC does not do that, under normal conditions whether I have turned off at source or not when hit the power button on the PC it does its POST and I get 1 beep indicating all is well.

AFAIK you should never hear beeps at turning on the power source and before starting the PC!!!

NB if you are running Windows 10, "shutdown" via the start menu is not like it was under earlier Windows versions. It is a sort of hybrid shutdown in that it is part hibernation to ensure faster starting up.

By powering off at the wall and then pressing the PC power button you have in effect down a "Restart" but in and of itself that should not be a cause of what you are describing. It makes me think the PC case power switch and its connection at the motherboard has an issue (plus others perhaps)???

Has it behaved this way since new and if not, other than the colder overnight room temperature, has anything else changed e.g. have you moved it around and possibly bumped it whilst doing so???

Last edited:
AFAIK you should never hear beeps at turning on the power source and before starting the PC!!!

My thoughts entirely!
What can beep without a power supply to it?
Is there a backup power supply that is beeping ... is it even something else that is connected to the socket supply and not the PC at all?

Yes that is correct it beeps before i touch the computer so it is fully Off ,it is win 10

I have not added anything to it so not being inside the case , it did not do it when i first got it i do have a usb card reader and pen drive in 2 of the usb ports but that's all .
Not bumped it only I use it so I'm sure of that , It just does it from it being fully turned off over night .
I will check all the cables mouse keyboard sound and power but I wont know if that does anything until tomorrow and it's being left Off

Rob.

Yes that is correct it beeps before i touch the computer so it is fully Off ,it is win 10

I have not added anything to it so not being inside the case , it did not do it when i first got it i do have a usb card reader and pen drive in 2 of the usb ports but that's all .
Not bumped it only I use it so I'm sure of that , It just does it from it being fully turned off over night .
I will check all the cables mouse keyboard sound and power but I wont know if that does anything until tomorrow and it's being left Off

Rob.

Hmmm! as the card reader and the pen drive are 'additions' and not relevant for running the PC, I would unplug those and see if that has any effect??? NB leave just the KB and Mouse attached i.e. disconnect any other accessories including any external speakers. PC POST beeps use the in case 'speaker' so if that is indeed the source of the sounds you will still hear it/them.

PS as @gramps asks, are there any other devices plugged into the same main socket? If so what are they?

Unplug the pc and anything else connected to the power supply.
Turn on power-does it beep? if not connect any other items one at a time and see what beeps.

My thoughts entirely!
What can beep without a power supply to it?
Is there a backup power supply that is beeping ... is it even something else that is connected to the socket supply and not the PC at all?
no back up supply and it is the computer Beeping not the speaker sound system

Rob.

no back up supply and it is the computer Beeping not the speaker sound system

Rob.
Some years ago I was called back to one of my installations because it was randomly beeping ... it was in fact a smoke detector that needed its battery replacing! :oops: :$

Well you have all given me something to try so a big thanks for the help ,I can only test tomorrow after it has being switched of over night as that is the only time it does it

So i will start with taking the cables off and put them back on and also leave heat on over night and report back tomorrow .

Rob.

Ok i unplugged the cables and put them back in I also took the card reader and pen drive out the USBs I left the heating on too .
For the first time in about a month when i flicked the wall socket on No beeps at all even when I pressed the computer on button it did not give the single beep either
So i will keep the heating off tonight and sort of work backwards over the next few days and see if they come back

I will update the post when i get the answer

Thanks everyone for the tips / advise .

Rob.

Update No beeps , so it wasn't heat in the room as i turned the heater off or the 2 things in the USB ports I can only think it was a lose fitting cable either USB or one at the back of the computer as that is all i did take them out and put them back in again

either way this thread sorted it out :)

Rob.

Back