Begineer help

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm sure you have had similar posts to this before, but would appreciate any help.

Enjoy using my shoot and click and in the past have mainly taken photos of new buildings, landscapes, mates windsurfing and even absailed of a cliff for a picture of a waterfall, lol. So as I enjoyed it thought I would get a small DSLR.

Been into the shops, and eventhough was impressed with the Sony, Nikon just feels good in my hand, so decided to go that route. My max budget just now is about £400, and have the following options (estimated prices including bag & memory card)

D40/18-55 £307
D60/18-55 £360
D60/18-55 VR £390
D40/18-55/Tam 70-300 £400

I know people may say get D60 if you wish to crop, but hey I dont know yet if I will be cropping as only getting into it. Also on a 18-55 is the VR necessary or is it a gimmick. Also is a 70-300 good without VR? (might be usefull for windsurfign shots).

Any help would be good.

Thanks

OK. Here's my 2 penneth (oh and welcome!).

1st thing is you will need a long lens for windsurfing. The 70-300 is a start but in cases won't be long enough. Other longer options however are way out of your price range. So the other way around this is to crop - which really means you would be better off with the D60 + 70-300.

You can live without VR on 18-55. VR on a longer lens is useful but again you can live without it. You will just need a slightly quicker shutter speed. I've got the Tamron on a Canon fit and it's OK for a cheap lens.

Another consideration might be the D40x (like the D40 but higher res)?

Have you tried looking online? Might save you a few quid and get the D60 + 18-55 + 70-300?

How about this?!

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=82703

Last post:

OK Ladies and gents - it appears from scanning tinternet that i was a little over optimistic about price - a D70 (body only) has just sold on eBay for £179 without the grip. Any one want to make me a sensible offer?

That leaves over £200 for a lens, again, second hand you could pick up something appropriate for what you're using it for.

Also is a 70-300 good without VR?

I have a Canon 75-300mm without image stabilisation and unless you're windsurfing at night it'll be fine (y)

Having been the proud owner of a D60 for 4 days, i would wholeheartdly recomend them.
Have a good look round on those prices first though, i got mine from Jessops...
D 60 + 18-55 VR .... £ 349 or with a Sigma 55-200 HSM as well £ 399

Online Comet, Currys and PC World offer simmilar deals ... but don't seem to do the same instore ? eg. Currys did the D60 but only with the non VR 18-55 for £329 ... but PC world had the D 60 but again only with the non VR at £ 349.... different on their websites... very confusing... and the staff didn't seem to know or care about the price difference.

I like the VR lens , if you don't want to use it you can allways turn it off...
Maybe not needed on the shorter lenses , but i find it helps my novice hands keep a sharp shot.
Wish it was fitted on the Sigma 55-200 HSM lens , thats were i notice i really need it.
If you are skilled enough then maybe you could live without it.... i can't yet.

I think you will still have to crop no matter what lens you get, so i'd go with a D60.

Dave;)

Thanks for the help! I will be going for a D60 then, sounds like a good idea because of potential cropping.

Will just have to see what deal I can get, with or without VR.

Found a D60/18-55VR £339.99 + case + card call it £380.00 (in my budget), and perhaps get a longer lens next summer (windsurfing season is not the winter, lol).

D60 (IMHO) is a great starter camera, get a good deal on it and buy a decent 70-300 with VR.

My 2p

Thanks for the help! I will be going for a D60 then, sounds like a good idea because of potential cropping.

Will just have to see what deal I can get, with or without VR.

Found a D60/18-55VR £339.99 + case + card call it £380.00 (in my budget), and perhaps get a longer lens next summer (windsurfing season is not the winter, lol).
You could get a Sigma 70-300 apo from ebay etc for £40-50 which is an ok lens on a budget.

Will the Sigma 70-300 APO from e-bay AF on a D60? Doesn't seem to be labelled as HSM.

IMO, a second hand D80 (or even D70(s) or D50) may be a better bet - while some people may be happy being restricted to AF-S/HSM lenses to retain AF, having the focus motor in the body leaves many more options open.

One thing you may want to take into consideration for windsurfing pics is a monopod. A monopod & cheap head should only be about £50, but it will give you something to take the weight while your lining up your next shot.

Can't help you on bodies as I'm a Canonite and have no experience with modern Nikons.

Steve

if you don't mind sourcing and using a flash gun, mine could be a cheap alternative, see my sig ;-)

Back