beginner 2-3 hundred pound budget

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,
A friend of mine is interested in taking up photography and asked me where to start, he wants to spend 200-300 quid and as far as I know thats second hand 350d or 20d and a lens or two. He is interested mainly in landscape stuff.

What are the other options? I see a d40 and kit is 260ish what about the 'other' brands any good ideas?

I got a Sony Alpha 200 for xmas and I highly rate it, but then I'm along way from being an expert

2nd hand 400D and kit lens should be around the £250 mark??

I'd get a 400D (2nd hand obviously).

My girlfriend just bought one for £250 off eBay -- absolutely immaculate condition and he could spend the other £50 on a tripod and a bag. That will be fine to learn with, and he can get different lenses at a later date. The 400D is a superb camera for the price it is now.

D70 or a 350D, are the bang for buck bargains as far as I'm concerned.
If you're friend is a bloke......its gonna have to be the D70 :)

2nd hand 400D and kit lens should be around the £250 mark??
Yup, I've just bought the same for my first camera / lens at £250 inc a couple of spare batteries from a forum member. It seemed to be the best all round option for the budget after doing lots of browsing. (y)

Yup, I've just bought the same for my first camera / lens at £250 inc a couple of spare batteries from a forum member. It seemed to be the best all round option for the budget after doing lots of browsing. (y)
You done the right thing. (y)

You'll find brand loyalty in the recommendations here - people like what they use! Handling-wise, the older model DSLRs are similar to their newer siblings, when it comes to "feel". I'd hate to recommend a camera that didn't "feel" right to someone.

So it boils down to: Pick them up and have a play! There's 3 or 4 camera shops listed down your way in Exeter (Jessops, London Camera Exchange, Devon Camera Centre and Focal Point), so take your friend out, go have a look at everything likely to be of interest, pick them up, have a play. Even if you end up buying elsewhere, I think a DSLR isn't just something you should buy without handling it in the flesh first...

At the end of the day, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus etc all make good cameras, and at entry level, there's not really that much in it. It's only when you start to get semi-serious that the features offered by particular models/brands come into play...

a200 is a very good starter but if he's your friend & you have a Canon then as long as you are willing to let him borrow/share glass etc. it would make sense for him to go Canon as well (caveat: as long as he finds the Canon body comfortable, not everybody does).

There's also pentax out there K100D super (built in shake reduction).

right guys we went into town and he felt up all the cameras ( ;) ) and the oly is the favorite.

Whats the difference in real terms between a 410 and 420

Whats oly glass like? is it deer as a rule of thumb and same for quality

is the 25mm pancake a good first lens for landscape work (a 50mm normal equivalent on that body), I like the look of it but I would want it for street/club work so a bit different

improved LiveView
improved processing/lower noise
slightly faster fps

remember that the E410/420 don't have stabilisation & there is no battery/vertical grip.

Oly make excellent glass, quite possibly having the best kit lenses.
Their true pro level stuff is very dear but that's way above your friend's budget & needs.
4/3 is the smallest system but if it has what he does need it doesn't matter if they don't have what he doesn't need ;)

I think the 410vs420 is going to be a price based decision on whether he buys first or second hand most likely.

What about this pancake lens ? I looked at it and fell in love but I don't know if he will want the wide end of the kit for landscape work.

I generally do more sports and people and moving stuff far away so this isn't my area of expertise.

is 50mm (ff equiv) too long for landscapes or would 28mm (ff equiv) be better despite being slower and not a prime?

Back