IMG_0179.jpg

little_toad.jpg

tweaked.jpg

parrotsmall.jpg

gull1.jpg

wingtips.jpg

sunrise6.jpg

I like the robin.....(y)

Real shame you chopped his tail and legs off though,otherwise great shot.

Great start the last 4 stand out the most too me! esps the robin one

Glad you like them. I agree with you about the robin. Though I have to admit, he's sort of my pet, I've been feeding him for by hand for years. I'll try and get a more detailed shot for you, but he's getting a bit territorial this time of year and doesn't sit still for too long. Though...I'm sure a few wax worms will bribe him. ;)

Welcome to the forums :)

Pretty good for a beginner I'd say.

The biggest problem I see is incorrect focus. With animals and birds you want the eye as the sharpest focussed thing in the shot and on these it isn't. My guess is you are letting the camera choose which AF point to use for focus. What you should have is the custom function set so that the centre AF point is active only. When you need the focus off centre in the shot you just manually choose another AF point with the camera dial or mini joystick thing.

Second problem is the composition could be stronger in some of them. Things need to look into some space or have room to fly into some. Your gull for example is leaving the frame instead of entering it. This may help.

Try and have a go at smoothing out the noise on the Robin picture - I think it's good, but the noise just puts me off. You could probably just mask the robin (quick mask will be good enough in PS, if you have it) and then do a gaussian blur on the remainder..

That last one has caught my eye, I often see really nice scenes when out and fail miserably to capture them, that is really lovely! ....and the two birds over the water, really like that too!

Try and have a go at smoothing out the noise on the Robin picture - I think it's good, but the noise just puts me off. You could probably just mask the robin (quick mask will be good enough in PS, if you have it) and then do a gaussian blur on the remainder..

Fab. Thanks. I'll have a tinker with it and post something back later. Really appreciate the pointers.

Rob

Thanks RobertP.

That's really useful. I'm still all fingers and thumbs with my camera. I guess I'm a little guilty of trying to run before I can walk. And you were correct about the AF setting...I'll certainly take more notice of that next time I'm out.

Rob

Like the 3rd & 4th deer although the focus is a bit soft. Maybe you could clone out the branch coming out of the deers back in number 3?

welcome Rob :wave:

just keep posting and asking questions and you'll learn loads on this forum

I like the robin and the parrot. Keep em coming

I agree, excellent first post. Just take loads and loads of images. Sometimes you have a lucky accident and produce an absolute corker and then learn why that one works so well.
I like number 2, the echo of the out of focus branches and the antlers really adds interest for me.

One of the best shots I ever saw was by Chris Chapman, where he was documenting a shooting party (without making any comments on his own thoughts on the subject). What made this shot so amusing was that the dog in the foreground had all four feet off the ground and looked like it was flying...a lucky accident that would take a lot of work to repeat.

I look forward to seeing more of your shots on the forum.

Excellent first set showing great promise.

Try to use just one AF point and focus on the eye or at least the head. Use Servo AF and a tripod whenever you can.

:agree: ... a lovely set for your first posting of images ... (y)

I would also echo the comments about composition ... :shrug: ... unless you are doing it for effect it is usually better not to chop tails/wings/antlers etc., ... ;)

Oh ... and :welcome: to TP forums ... (y) ... have you considered introducing yourself fully in the WELCOME forum ... :thinking:

:p

Excellent first set showing great promise.

Try to use just one AF point and focus on the eye or at least the head. Use Servo AF and a tripod whenever you can.

I agree with CT, looks like no shortage of subjects to hone those skills on. (y)

Back