Beginner camera

Name
will
Edit My Images
No
Can anyone recommend a camera for my 12yr old. He has a Fuji bridge camera just now but wants a dslr. He really likes shooting long exposure waterfalls, seascapes etc and chasing our cat:). It would have to be a Nikon so he can use some of my lenses. Thanks

Can anyone recommend a camera for my 12yr old. He has a Fuji bridge camera just now but wants a dslr. He really likes shooting long exposure waterfalls, seascapes etc and chasing our cat:). It would have to be a Nikon so he can use some of my lenses. Thanks

Maybe something like a d3100? D5000? Or if you have older lenses a d90? There all cheap and nikon only makes good cameras

If he's experienced, I'd recommend a D90 or D7000 (dependant on budget) but if he would feel out of his depth by too many buttons, I'd go for the D3100.

If he's experienced, I'd recommend a D90 or D7000 (dependant on budget) but if he would feel out of his depth by too many buttons, I'd go for the D3100.

I wouldn't say he's experienced but he has had a fair amount of time using my d300s. It's been mostly on that that he's been doing the long exposures on. He's really good at picking things up quickly ( unlike me). I was thinking on a d300 but just think it's a bit on the heavy side for him at the moment although most of the time his camera is on his tripod it's the rest of the time where he could struggle with d300. Budget would be no more than £350 and think I would prefer to buy new rather than used as it would probably be for his Xmas so that again rules out d300 :0

Looking at one shop, is the d5100 worth the extra £100 over the cost of d3200?

Canon 1DX or Nikon D4 or even Nikon D800......

Joking

Well, there are plenty of cameras out there, so to one of those cameras stores, look at different cameras and test the feeling and the handling, the weight, easy of use or menu or controls, i can always go to those dealers of cameras and test some cameras there even some pros if i want, so better do that because here on forums people will give you 5-10 good options and maybe more and you will keep thinking which one for long time.

Looking at one shop, is the d5100 worth the extra £100 over the cost of d3200?

Depends. Biggest difference for me would be how it feels in your hands. There is a £30 cashback for d3200 (none for d5100).

Depends. Biggest difference for me would be how it feels in your hands. There is a £30 cashback for d3200 (none for d5100).

I was thinking more spec wise rather than handling.

You have a real capability/cost problem here. From what you say about your son and his abilities with your D300, I'd say a D7000 would be the only perfect choice. Really. Really, really :)

BUT - the only way to get one of them for less than £350 is to go 2nd hand, which you say you don't want. Here's the issue - I went from a D3000 to a D5100 because the leap to a D7000 was too expensive. I then found that, although the D5100 was a great camera, my needs outgrew it faster than I outgrew my original D3000! So I eventually sold, scrimped & saved to get a D7100 that gives me soooo much room to grow.

If cost is king, get something in the D5xxx series, as they're great, just not a great leap up off the D3xxx cams. If you can do it though, a D7000 will keep him for years. Kudos to h for being so capable so young too - I'm jealous!

I was thinking more spec wise rather than handling.

Don't get this the wrong way, but, in my experience, people spend too much time worrying about fringe spec, that will mean grand total of fa in real world. As for usual spec just do google 5100/5200 vs 7000 and see if there are any dealbreakers.

As for 'is the difference worth £100?' only you can answer that question.

:)

You have a real capability/cost problem here. From what you say about your son and his abilities with your D300, I'd say a D7000 would be the only perfect choice. Really. Really, really :)

BUT - the only way to get one of them for less than £350 is to go 2nd hand, which you say you don't want. Here's the issue - I went from a D3000 to a D5100 because the leap to a D7000 was too expensive. I then found that, although the D5100 was a great camera, my needs outgrew it faster than I outgrew my original D3000! So I eventually sold, scrimped & saved to get a D7100 that gives me soooo much room to grow.

If cost is king, get something in the D5xxx series, as they're great, just not a great leap up off the D3xxx cams. If you can do it though, a D7000 will keep him for years. Kudos to h for being so capable so young too - I'm jealous!

As I'm just starting with d5100, which features of 7100 you found most important, what made you make a move, cause I'll probably do the same in couple of months/years.

As I'm just starting with d5100, which features of 7100 you found most important, what made you make a move, cause I'll probably do the same in couple of months/years.

Having moved from a 5000 to 7k1 myself a big thing was the buttons, body armour and weathersealing... and the awsome screen on the back.. oo and the built in motor :) .... and built in levels hahaha

Having moved from a 5000 to 7k1 myself a big thing was the buttons, body armour and weathersealing... and the awsome screen on the back.. oo and the built in motor :) .... and built in levels hahaha

Thanks for that, buttons; I understand, I HATE that i need to go into menus to change things.
Body armour; what the hell are you doing with your cam? offensive weapon? :)
Weathersealing; I'll ponder on that one, but can't see that as a big issue.

I would love if 5100 had more buttons to adjust settings. That would be good.

Thanks for that, buttons; I understand, I HATE that i need to go into menus to change things.
Body armour; what the hell are you doing with your cam? offensive weapon? :)
Weathersealing; I'll ponder on that one, but can't see that as a big issue.

I would love if 5100 had more buttons to adjust settings. That would be good.

Haha I do landscape work mostly and I end up on my arse alot and often near water or in the rain. Thats the reason for the above stated... though I wont got attacked by a goose to which I swung my tripod at so I guess the 7k1 could be used.... haha

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I'm gonna stretch for d7000. Cheers guys

Back