Beginner Beginner DSLR and courses

Edit My Images
No
Looking to buy my first DSLR. I've been looking at both new in store and pre-owned on ebay. I'm open to pre-owned to start out for the price but I'm skeptical on ebay about the condition.

What places are recommended if you buy used? What about new? And what particular DSLR do you recommend starting out with?

Also, what beginner courses do you recommend?

Hi Summer, welcome.

This is a question that comes up quite often. I’d suggest searching the forum and have a read.

At the end of the day what camera is right for you depends on what you want achieve and budget. Everyone will suggest you look at other types of camera not just DSLR. If you can be more specific on your goals and budget you might get more useful answers.

Hi,

Thank you. I'd like to get started in portrait photography. I'm looking at under $400 range.

Thank you so much! I've been browsing around that site. Are there any others recommended? I am interested in Canon but open to other brands as well. I have a Canon point and shoot camera which actually takes amazing pictures.

But yes, mostly portrait photography. Children and families.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you. I'd like to get started in portrait photography. I'm looking at under $400 range.
Why $ and not £ ? Only ask as if you are not in the UK, suggestions form the UK might not be as helpful.

I have not had any bad experiences on ebay, as long as you are able to recognise what you see (or don't see) in the listing, and ask the right questions if information is lacking or unclear.
If you don't get answers, leave it!

I have bought several things from this seller, and all have been superb and better than expected https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...13&_dmd=2&_oac=1&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

I have recently moved from Canon to Panasonic MFT.
You can get a G3 and 14-42 lens from anything from £50-100, they are light, easy to use, have many of the advantages of mirrorless and take very good pictures for very little money, right up to a G9 for anything from £550 to £1000 which can use the same lenses. (and of course new ones for a lot more)
A G5 and a 14-140 lens would come in under your budget, and makes a nice combination for family and out-and-about photos.

In Canon, if I was to look on your budget, I would look for a 650D or an 800D and a 18-135 lens.

Not suggesting that you go for any of those, just mentioning options I am familiar with, there are dozens of others.

As suggested, the best thing is to look hands on and see what suits you, and if you can't do that, spend as little as possible so that you can start using something and see which way you go.
No point in just going for the highest pixel count either.

Hi and welcome to TP
As above, there’s possibly better sources of info that are more US focussed.
But if I were in your shoes, I’d be looking to spend as little as possible on a camera and standard zoom, but then get yourself a Canon 85mm 1.8 to augment it for portraits. Any $2-400 camera you buy today won’t be with you very long, but if you get serious about this, that lens will still be taking great pics in ten years time.

Why $ and not £ ? Only ask as if you are not in the UK, suggestions form the UK might not be as helpful.

I have not had any bad experiences on ebay, as long as you are able to recognise what you see (or don't see) in the listing, and ask the right questions if information is lacking or unclear.
If you don't get answers, leave it!

I have bought several things from this seller, and all have been superb and better than expected https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...13&_dmd=2&_oac=1&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

I have recently moved from Canon to Panasonic MFT.
You can get a G3 and 14-42 lens from anything from £50-100, they are light, easy to use, have many of the advantages of mirrorless and take very good pictures for very little money, right up to a G9 for anything from £550 to £1000 which can use the same lenses. (and of course new ones for a lot more)
A G5 and a 14-140 lens would come in under your budget, and makes a nice combination for family and out-and-about photos.

In Canon, if I was to look on your budget, I would look for a 650D or an 800D and a 18-135 lens.

Not suggesting that you go for any of those, just mentioning options I am familiar with, there are dozens of others.

As suggested, the best thing is to look hands on and see what suits you, and if you can't do that, spend as little as possible so that you can start using something and see which way you go.
No point in just going for the highest pixel count either.
Hello,

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into these cameras as well as the ebay user. Yes, I am in the US btw!

Hi and welcome to TP
As above, there’s possibly better sources of info that are more US focussed.
But if I were in your shoes, I’d be looking to spend as little as possible on a camera and standard zoom, but then get yourself a Canon 85mm 1.8 to augment it for portraits. Any $2-400 camera you buy today won’t be with you very long, but if you get serious about this, that lens will still be taking great pics in ten years time.
Thank you so much!

Another question: This just popped in my head. Is it possible to upgrade from my Canon point and shoot by trading it in? Or would that only work with higher grade cameras? I bought the camera almost 2 years ago and it's in good condition. It's a Canon powershot sx540 hs.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you for the suggestions! I will look into these cameras as well as the ebay user. Yes, I am in the US btw!
I've bought several items from Adorama and KEH - both offer warranties on their used items, there is also a US based arm of MPB too.

The advice about the Canon 85 is sound

Another question: This just popped in my head. Is it possible to upgrade from my Canon point and shoot by trading it in? Or would that only work with higher grade cameras? I bought the camera almost 2 years ago and it's in good condition. It's a Canon powershot sx540 hs.
If there’s a local s/h dealer you’d need to discuss with them. We’ve no way of knowing what your camera might be worth in your local market. Though there’s not a huge market for compacts, it’ll probably be worth more to you than it is the market.

Back