Beginner Beginner DSLR for around £400

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I am looking to get my first DSLR camera. I have had a couple of different point and clicks over the years but would love to finally get myself a decent camera.
I have around £400 to spend. I would love a new camera but i would be happy with a used camera.
Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again
Gavin

Hi Gavin and welcome to TP

As you may imagine, this type of question has been asked umpteen times ;)

Can I suggest in these wee hours you use the forum Search function to dig for similar opening posts........many of the answers already given should be informative for you in the meantime and may raise more meaningful questions than such an open-ended question you have asked.

HTH :)

I would ask you for little more information on how you intend to use the camera. If it's something you would like to carry with you most of the time I would go for a mirrorless camera with an Eye view finder because of thier small size. If you are on a budget mirrorless cameras can use old film lenses to good affect which can be had for very cheap prices £10 or less. If this is not an issue I would go for one of the Canon EOS cameras as there are plenty of second hand Lenses about as they have been used for a long time ( not sure if this is the case with Nikon ?) Some of the other makes are not so common so add ons are a little harder to come by and generally more expensive. If you find it's something you really enjoy you are bound to want to add to your camera kit.

Last edited:
I would ask you for little more information on how you intend to use the camera. If it's something you would like to carry with you most of the time I would go for a mirrorless camera with an Eye view finder because of thier small size. If you are on a budget mirrorless cameras can use old film lenses to good affect which can be had for very cheap prices £10 or less. If this is not an issue I would go for one of the Canon EOS cameras as there are plenty of second hand Lenses about as they have been used for a long time ( not sure if this is the case with Nikon ?) Some of the other makes are not so common so add ons are a little harder to come by and generally more expensive. If you find it's something you really enjoy you are bound to want to add to your camera kit.
EF has been around since 85-86... same as the Minolta/Sony A-mount

Nikon F-mount has been around longer (1959) but if you get a D3*00/D5*00 series camera only lenses with AF-S or newer will work. The only cameras able to use 1950s era lenses are the pro cameras.

The K-mount is newer than F-mount and older than EF. However, pick up ANY K-mount lens and it will work on the newest cameras (unless it is a 'Ricoh KR' lens as that will get stuck on a non-Ricoh camera - although Pentax are owned by Ricoh); however some of the newest AF (PLM) lenses won't focus on older AF bodies...

Find a good nearby independent camera retailer pick up the cameras and pick the one that feels best for you, don't let anyone else make your mind up for you. There are no bad cameras and haven't been for quite a while - no point chosing a camera because someone biased tells you it is the best, it might not be for you.... Again go to an independent retailer.

Back